Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just purchased the Italy expansion and had a question about the placement of "complete" tiles. The rules are pretty clear that a "complete tile" (5 of the 7 that came w/the expansion) can only be used to replace an existing tile. It seems logical that it can only be used to replace another coexisting/complex tile. Could it also be used to replace a simple tile?

The cost is the other question. The complete tile costs 7 to place (wow). That's more than double the replacement cost to upgrade a simple to complex-crossing (3).

Lets take a complete-complex-crossing tile on normal terrain for example:
So to upgrade to that complete tile, the associated costs would eventually be:
Simple 2
Upgrade it to complex-crossing 3
Upgrade that to complete 7
Total: 12

or possibly

Place complex crossing 4 (and use both tracks)
Total: 11

Is this possible?:
Simple 2
Upgrade to complete using all tracks: 7
Total: 9

Thanks!
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
Just purchased the Italy expansion and had a question about the placement of "complete" tiles. The rules are pretty clear that a "complete tile" (5 of the 7 that came w/the expansion) can only be used to replace an existing tile. It seems logical that it can only be used to replace another coexisting/complex tile. Could it also be used to replace a simple tile?

The cost is the other question. The complete tile costs 7 to place (wow). That's more than double the replacement cost to upgrade a simple to complex-crossing (3).

Lets take a complete-complex-crossing tile on normal terrain for example:
So to upgrade to that complete tile, the associated costs would eventually be:
Simple 2
Upgrade it to complex-crossing 3
Total: 12

or possibly

Place complex crossing 4 (and use both tracks)
Total: 11

Is this possible?:
Simple 2
Upgrade to complete using all tracks: 7
Total: 9

Thanks!
Dan

Please look at your AoS France and Italy Expansion Set rules,
the Italy map special rules section,
the Building Track subsection,
specifically the 5th sentence.
"Complete Track tiles may only be used to replace a Complex Track tile, (the cost is $7), they may neither be initially Placed nor Redirected."

Since the rules say that "Complete Track tiles may only be used to replace a Complex Track tile", that means that Complete Track tiles may only be used to replace a Complex Track tile. A Simple Track tile is not a Complex Track tile. Since a Simple Track tile is not a Complex Track tile and the rules say that Complete Track tiles may only be used to replace a Complex Track tile, one might infer that a Complete Track tile may not replace a Simple Track tile. One would be right.

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I hope you enjoy the expansion, Dan. Remember that France is for Beginners and Italy is for Experts!

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx. That Italy map looks very challenging...so narrow...looking forward to giving it a try. Though I'm no expert...so it may be awhile before I get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
Thx. That Italy map looks very challenging...so narrow...looking forward to giving it a try. Though I'm no expert...so it may be awhile before I get a chance.

Yeah, the black blocks rule makes Italy a cutthroat game, best suited for those looking for an even greater challenge in their Age of Steam games. Casual players find Italy's direct player interaction uncomfortable, daunting even, but the Italians love it.
France is much nicer and a lot of fun, perfect for introducing new folks to the game. Let me know what you think of it, when you get a chance to play it.

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.