Subject: PROPS, as game storage. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron McCommon
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Here I will list a variety of ideas on how to store MoM so it will end up looking like this.
External image

http://jasonmckittrick.deviantart.com/art/Curwen-Summoning-C...

Feel free to contribute your own.

Token Storage: Vials and Test tubes. If you could manage to find some nice fat test tubes that would be great. I would go so far as to theme each tube. Blindness would be simply spraying black paint into the tube to make it pitch black.

Scenario Storage: Top Secret envelopes. I would separate all of the components that are unique to a scenario into its own little envelope.
External image

label each envelope with its scenario, and there you go!

Painting miniatures to look like props: You could paint your miniatures to look like weathered copper figurines (including the base), or even Innsmouth gold.

External image

Hollow out a book! Depending on the book size, you could store a large number of different things. Necronomicon it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: SEC fanMicrobadge: Kurt Vonnegut fanMicrobadge: English TeacherMicrobadge: Author
Was that picture of the box just an example, or do you store all of the MoM base game in that box. Looks fantastic by the way!
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron McCommon
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
It was just an example. It gave me the idea.

I'm still thinking of other ways to more creatively store things like puzzles etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: RPG Geek Play-by-Forum GMMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 07 RPGG poster
Way cooler than my Plano box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mansions of Madness fanMicrobadge: Hellboy fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: The Adventurers fanMicrobadge: 2015 Silver Supporter
I was pretty impressed with the OP idea. I spent a couple of days browsing the craft stores looking for some way to store my game. I initially was looking for a big hollowed out book that I could label "necronomicon" to put the Mansions of Madness, plus Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy expansions. I couldn't find a book that large, but I did find a large brief case at Hobby Lobby. I figured it was just big enough to store the landscape tiles without taking up more than 1/4 of the internal space.Since they were the largest item, I figured everything else could fit in the extra space....barely.

I made some boxes out of plywood to store the cards in (w/Miskatonic U label), and another that looks like a book for the counters and puzzle pieces. All of the booklets store up in straps in the top of the briefcase.

There is a divider with craft foam to keep all of the miniatures in. The miniatures won't fit in individual oubliettes. Atleast not with the bases. But I'm modifying the humanoid monsters to be on 25mm bases like the investigators. The cards will stay seperate.

The miskatonic (card box) has tiers to lift the smaller cards up and dividiers for easy browsing. I haven't labeled the cardboard dividers yet.

The "Book" is actually also a box. It has a lift out tray with dividers that holds all of the counters. Below, in the bottom, are all of the puzzle pieces, and some counters that are used only in single scenarios. The cover of the book is faux alligator skin, and brass corner accents. I am thinking of adding text of "Al Azif" and "By Abdul Alhazred" and a brass hasp, but I'll have to come back around to that. In the center of the book is a medallion depicting Cthulhu.

I'm still painting the miniatures.
External image

External image

External image

External image

8/3/13
Here's an update to the book storage (necronomiconish). I added lettering to the cover (Al Azif by Abdul Alhazred), added a brass strap to keep the contents inside when being transported and re-organized the top tray to hold the counters we're using more efficiently. I'm thinking of gluing a cheat-sheet on the inside cover of turn sequences and rules.
External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vincent
msg tools
Ok. Ya'll inspired me. I went to Ross and found a ginormous faux book storage box for $8. It was the perfect size for holding MoM, and was nice and mythosy with a 'lil bit of paint (and an image printed out from the internet). I also added some metal corner embellishments (from the scrap-booking section of a nearby craft store)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mansions of Madness fanMicrobadge: Hellboy fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: The Adventurers fanMicrobadge: 2015 Silver Supporter
What better place to have a thread Necro than in MoM?
With the upcoming announcement of Ash Vs. the Evil Dead coming to STARS at the end of October (Just in time for Halloween), I have been foaming at the mouth to work on my Investigator/Humanoid miniature box for MOM which is inspired by the book in Army of Darkness.
Now, Ash (the Evil Dead I/II, and Army of Darkness) has nothing to do with Mansions of Madness directly. But it did borrow from the Lovecraftian mythos by incorporating the Necronomicon (ex Mortis) as a focal point of opening the portal into our world.

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

External image

It still needs a couple coats of wax and to be buffed out. And a secret spring latch added to keep it closed. But I couldn't wait to post pics of it. There are actually several versions of the Necronomicon Ex Mortis in the Evil Dead trilogy. This version is inspired by the one in the Army of Darkness, when Ash forgets the arcane phrase that will let him handle the book safely (Klatuu Barata Nikto). I know it's not a duplicate. But I'm happy with just the passing resemblance.

External image

It's made from a plain wooden book-box I got at the hobby store, which I had to modify quite a bit to fit in my game box, as it was a bit too fat. (replaced the lid and hinges, as well as taking about 1/4" off of the spine).
If you're wondering how I got that texture. I cheated by using real pig-skin which I've often heard is a good analog for human skin. The front cover was built-up with string, glue and air-dry clay before applying the skin.
You can see that there is a nice "end page" that conceals the miniature cells. And you might be thinking "I can see how the investigators might fit in those cells, but the monsters..?" I don't use the fat monster bases that came with the game. The humanoid monsters were all glued to bases similar to the investigators before painting. Each cell is 1.06 square and I have enough cells for a few more investigators and humanoid monsters.

For those of you wondering how this in any way associates with MoM,
The card for the Necronomicon itself exists in the Yellow Sign POD.

A future project will be to turn my Al Azif book-box into a "Studies on Hysteria" book for Carolyn Fern.

*EDIT*
Recovered the old book box with leather and dyed it English tan and tried to age it. Applied the lettering using a graphics trick of using acetone and a reverse image. I'm pretty happy with it. Seen here with some other game props including a vinyl cthulhu statue/bank.

External image

External image

External image

-Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I understand this is a post from a few years ago, but I'm just now after a long search for storage options for my MoM set after my original box began to tear, I have decided I am incredibly impressed by your work and would like to attempt one for myself.
One question I did have was what did you use to replace the original book lid, and what kind of fastener did you use to keep the book shut? I was considering trying to add additional magnets but I'm unsure if drilling in the already small area would be a good idea, so I'm definitely curious what you used. I absolutely see what you mean by it being too thick, spine also but I love the thought of all investigators and many monsters fitting safe inside the book.
Truly amazing work though, I thought painting all my minis was pimping the game enough, but this is a whole other level!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls