Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Tuesday night, Kim and I played a two player Burning Suns prototype game.

Unfortunately the first draft of this post gave a timeout error when we tried to post it and appears to be lost. Sorry this new version will be kind of short...

It was pretty late when we started the game on Tuesday night, so we knew we wouldn't get a chance to finish, but wanted to get a game in to prepare for more games this weekend.

We randomly choose what we would be playing. I drew The Imperial Cyborgs of the Eclipse

Kim drew Nomadic Insectoids of the Rebellion.

We setup one of the two player maps from the Setup Guide (which can be found in the Burning Suns file section).

We both pretty quickly explored and colonized the uninhabited worlds neighboring us. Kim improved her world by adding an income (Crystal) generating upgrade and I purchased a mercenary warship. Kim later upgraded the effectiveness of her fighters.

Afterwards, we each explored the hostile inhabited worlds next in the path to the center of the galaxy. Once revealed we used Sabotaged missions to soften up the warships in orbit, before wiping out the forces in orbit. We also did some scanning for interstellar riches, and recruited some agents.

Turns out starting Cyborg ground troops aren't very effective and I spent a few turns assaulting the planet, I should have sabotaged the troops to reduce their numbers. Kim's ground troops easily took her neighboring hostile world. After we had placated the newly conquered worlds with diplomacy actions, we stopped the game.

I will post another report/review after we complete a full game with more pictures.

Initial thoughts and comments after the game (in no particular order):
1. There is a lot of depth to the game.

2. There are a lot of choices to make and always something to do.

3. Turns were usually quick (usually under 3 minutes each) once we were familiar with the rules.

4. The Action Sheets adds a great timing of actions mechanic to the game.

5. The Galactic Market gives you a lot of options on what to upgrade and/or purchase while still limiting what is available.

6. I saw plenty of opportunities to mess with the other player without having to fight them directly. Although I played nicely this time.

7. While Agents have useful abilities, most that were able to recruit weren't particularly helpful to the situations we were in. That would have changed had we played a full game.

8. The artwork is amazing.

I can't wait to get my hands on a full version of the game when it goes up on Kickstarter again. From what I have seen so far Emil and SunTzu has created a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A short but nice firt impression. Gratitude. Please keep us updated if you get the chance to play again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.