United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion combination compliments each other so well; it is now by far my favorite. I do not know for sure the ruling on whether you can capture tower meeples with other tower captures or if the dragon can affect tower meeples, but I play the meeples are affected by both. I also do not play with the fairy; it slows down play too much.

First, the tower land pieces dominate, and are clearly still the most powerful piece in this expansion combination. By placing a tower base next to an opponent’s farmer or knight, you are continually threatening it the duration of the game. The threat of capturing an opponent’s follower is more devastating than actually doing it. It causes people to stop finishing a city and that poor meeple is now in limbo. This is a very effective method of “trapping” opponent’s meeples. I’ve noticed since players like keeping each other trapped more, about 20 cards left in the game is when all the capturing takes place. This adds quite a bit of strategy.

However, the dragon is now an option to get your own little meeple out of a jam. I know it contradicts the intentions of the dragon to be bad, but definitely adds to game play. Also, with the ability to use to the dragon to get meeples out of towers, you can now continue to try to capture that mega-points farmer that had been protected by an opponent’s tower meeple.

The magic gate is awesome – excellent play value. This card now allows you to places meeples on lucrative tiles, but are not in the cross fire of the towers. And if you are trying to burn up an opponents tower resources, place it one the most lucrative location in the crossfire.

That princess comes in handy for removing your own meeples that are ready to be captured by towers. This card has become a lot more valuable during play.

Die Katharer has great cards with many options, but they’re not over dominating like the tower or magic gate cards. You now have yet a third method of returning knights in fear of being captured by enemy towers to your stash. Offensively, you of course can still use it to nil points at the end game or make opponent’s completion not so spectacular. But be aware, they make fields a huge payoff. (I play with two Die Katharer expansions; it is really a bonus if you can finish a city without one being sieged.)

The major advantages now are improved strategy and excitement. This combination, I believe offers more strategy then any of the others, and with many cards balancing out in value. You will have far less complaints of “you drew all monasteries… that’s not fair.” With cities and farms will now trade hands quite a bit (especially during two player games.) I have seen the last few plays to steal the majority of the mega farm decide the game. It’s good when there is not a clear-cut winner the first 20 cards in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'll stick with I&C + T&B that is much less chaotic, with less "screawage" factor and thus quite more strategic (in my opinion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I've played have been very static with players not wanting to use their tower pieces early. Not that chaotic. However, I will give you the "screwage" factor is at an all time high. I would argue its build into all three expansions used. This combo is good for competitive cut-throat two player game, not so good as a casual game with your girlfriend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of the psyco ones I use them all, I like chaosdevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Count me in for the base game plus all of the expansions, especially for two players (well, I double up on Die Katharer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Tower, dragon, princess and katharer are too many ways to remove meeples. The result is very random scoring because the one scoring points will be the one who luckily takes the last missing tile. Noone will be risking building big cities or roads. This combination of expansions promotes small & fast conquest. Result: zero strategy, lots of luck.

The only thing worse would be including the count. Dragon + tower (+ count) = too many complications, little control and little overview.

What I'd add to the tower is not the katharer but the king. The king & robber baron promote building large while the tower hampers building large blocks. Interesting dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.