BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Advice needed- Building up a games library rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phyllis
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I know this is crazy, but since I am going to ship the games overseas, I thought I should order more and ship them all at once. But I need help with choosing them as I have not played most of them. I hope to get a variety and avoid duplicate games. I play mostly with my husband and occasionally with another couple. The games cannot be too bulky as they will be airfreighted.

These are the games I owned and played,

1.Settlers of Catan - Loved it, but can only play with 3 or more people and we want to move on to something else
(we have the card game too, but the instructions are too confusing, so we never got to play)
2.Cidatels - like it, fun with 3-4 players, but gets too draggy with 6 players.
3.Lost cities - played a lot, but need something deeper
4.Bohnanza - need more than 2 players, but this game takes a back seat even when there are more players

These are the games that I owned, but are still with a friend in the US to be shipped over at the same time.
1.Ticket to Ride: Europe
2.San Juan
3.Ark of the Covenant
4.Hera & Zeus
5.Alhambra
6.Modern Art

These are the games I am thinking of ordering;
1.Memoir 44
2.High society
3.For Sale
4.Travel Blokus
5.Samurai
6.Ra
7.Colossal Arena
8.Jambo
9.Euphrat & Tigris
10.LoTR - Confrontation
11.Descent: Journeys in the Dark
12.Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition
13. Gulo Gulo (for kids too)
14. Pirates cove (for kids Too)

I need to choose 7 games to compliment my existing library. I would appreciate any recommendations or feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Warwick Ball
New Zealand
Napier
North Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Need help with choosing games - duplications
2 Votes here...

Memoir 44 and Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
I'll 2nd Memoir '44. I am not very big on the wargame theme, regardless of how light Memoir '44 is, but I enjoy the game immensely. Even playing by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought I should order more and ship them all at once

Spoken like a true gamer

Quote:
These are the games I am thinking of ordering;
1.Memoir 44
2.High society
3.For Sale
4.Travel Blokus
5.Samurai
6.Ra
7.Colossal Arena
8.Jambo
9.Euphrat & Tigris
10.LoTR - Confrontation
11.Descent: Journeys in the Dark
12.Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

My vote, considering you want games that can be played with only 2 people:

Memoir 44
Jambo
Travel Blokus
Samurai
Ra (there is a 2 player variant)
Euphrat & Tigris
LoTR - Confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you've given your list a lot of thought. I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of them. Given the emphasis on 2-player games, I would probably go with Jambo. Ra and For Sale are my two favorites on the list, but not for 2 players. The only one I dislike is LoTR: Confrontation, but that's because I dislike the entire genre of Stratego-like games.

Really what I wanted to comment on is

Quote:

Really you should say "for kids only". I don't mean that only kids can play them, but rather that you're unlikely to ever play them without kids. We enjoy both, but I would never consider breaking out Gulo Gulo with only adults. Pirate's Cove is much weaker as a game than the others on your list, so although you could play it with other adults, you almost never would (unless you or they are really into the pirate theme). I'm not by any means saying don't get these two, I'm just saying only get them if your primary purpose is to play them with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phyllis
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for the replies so far. While I am keen to get 2-player games, I am also open to getting some good games for when friends come over. My preference for the moment are

1.Memoir 44
2.For Sale
3.Travel Blokus
4.Samurai
5.Ra
6.Colossal Arena

Besides those,I am also looking for 1 or 2 games that I can play with my 4 year old girl and later my 2 year old when she gets older. I am thinking of Gulo Gulo, Pick Picknic, any suggestions or preference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About Travel Blokus...

You might want to consider getting the full sized game. If you want to play two player, you only need to use a 13x13 corner of the board and two colors to have the same setup as the Travel (or 'Duo') edition. We just use blocks of an unused color to mark off the play area on the big board.

And if the kids want to join in, they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wait a second - the games can't be too bulky, but you've got Descent and Twilight Imperium on the list! I think they're both fine games, but they're HUGE. Maybe your shipping money could be better spend on something lighter? I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just writing to second the suggestion of the full Blokus game. It is very easy to play travel Blokus on the larger board and you need the full game to play with 4 players. My kids (7 and 8) have enjoyed Blokus at least as much as both Gulo Gulo and Pick Picknic (which they like as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phyllis
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for your feedback, you guys helped confirm that Descent and Twilight Imperium are out since they are bulky. I think Blokus is a better choice too instead of Travel Blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For kids, might I also suggest Go Away Monster... My 3 year old girl loves it...

I'd definitely go with Memoir '44, Samurai, Travel Blokus, and Tigris & Euphrates... And of course, I'll always suggest kids games, as they work well with that age group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
About Travel Blokus...

You might want to consider getting the full sized game. If you want to play two player, you only need to use a 13x13 corner of the board and two colors to have the same setup as the Travel (or 'Duo') edition. We just use blocks of an unused color to mark off the play area on the big board.

And if the kids want to join in, they can.

I will third this notion and clarify: travel blokus uses a 14x14 grid. It is easily marked off with other pieces or even a magic marker if you don't mind marking your game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.