Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Spreckels
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone could tell me if the Age of Steam box has room enough for the main expansions in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine the new paper expnasions, even laminated, could squeeze in as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all four expansions and the insert in the box. It doesn't close fully, of course. If I got rid of the inserts I suspect it would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
locusshifter wrote:
I would imagine the new paper expnasions, even laminated, could squeeze in as well.

Thinking of the Steam Brothers expansions - these won't fit in the box unless they ae folded (damaging the lamination) or further cut down (and possibly hinged with tape).

While possible, I haven't done so with my copies as I didn't want to damage them. I know of some players who store the paper maps (including the maps available on the Geek) and store them rolled in a tube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got rid of the insert and was able to fit in the four expansions, as well as the laminated goods board, income board and action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian your box certainly dosen't close, I can fit all 4 expansions in my box without the insert and everything else and the box still pokes up a bit. Your box must poke up 2-3 inches...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now my 3 expansions fit just fine (I don't even remember there BEING an insert....that was a long time ago) and it looks like there will be room for Expansion #4 to fit, but that will probably be it unless I stop closing it all the way. And its getting HEAVY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I gave up. I use a Plano compartmented box to hold the tiles, cubes, player markers etc; the original and now quite battered AoS box to hold all the current expansions along with rules, action cards etc (all laminated); a set of cups for the cubes and money (soon to be replaced with nicer wooden bowls); and finally a small leather lined wooden dice tray All that, together with Lancashire Railways and New England Rails then fits together neatly in a plastic tub with a folding lid. The various hobbyist maps (North of England, Japan, Cheshire etc) and the SteamBrothers maps are stored rolled in a pair of cardboard whiskey bottle tubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a system similar to JC's.

If you only have one or two expansions, they will easily fit in the main box if you just remove the insert. If you have more than that, more creativity is required.

I curently keep all of my tiles, money, goods cubes, town markers, dice, and the round marker in a small Plano box. I keep the player markers in the main box, along with Warfrog expansions 1-4. The Steam Brothers Maps and Japan I keep in the original envelope that the Steam Brothers mailed the maps to me in.

For now this is working fine, but I'm sure I'll have to reconsider as soon as I procure more board based expansions, as the box, even if I remove the player markers, will not hold more than 1 more folded map.

Ah well, this is the kind of problem I like to have...trouble storing the expansion maps for my favourite game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sasseville
Canada
St-Redempteur
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I keep the basic stuff in the original box. The expansions in a puzzle box (re-designed with the AoS style).
For my SteamBrothers expansions, I made a rigid "folder" with 2 pieces of cardboard taped together.

Martin
SteamBrothers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darky wrote:
I keep the basic stuff in the original box. The expansions in a puzzle box (re-designed with the AoS style).
For my SteamBrothers expansions, I made a rigid "folder" with 2 pieces of cardboard taped together.

Martin
SteamBrothers

Yeah, that was quite clever of you. Very nice.

dwarf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an expansion box released at Essen 2005, with the Reunion Island and Moon maps, that fits most of the expansions (all but the Steambrothers maps and the Bay Area map), but it was limited to 180 copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
djflippy wrote:
There was an expansion box released at Essen 2005, with the Reunion Island and Moon maps, that fits most of the expansions (all but the Steambrothers maps and the Bay Area map), but it was limited to 180 copies.

I got a copy and thought it too weak for actual use. The cardboard is soft and the seams not particularly strong. The four Warfrom expansion maps together are quite heavy. It doesn't take much for them to bust such a box, and that's not going to improve as yet more heavy mounted maps are produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the different expansion maps available, having all of them in just one box, the box is getting heavier each year. You would need to be in top shape to carry the box around. laugh

Pierre-Luc
dwarf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dwarf wrote:
With all the different expansion maps available, having all of them in just one box, the box is getting heavier each year. You would need to be in top shape to carry the box around.

This is why I am gradually redrawing all of the Warfrog and SteamBrother's maps (and have managed to beg PDFs of Ted's maps from him). The main change I'm making is that I put the rules changes and income, action, turn order, goods production etc charts right on/beside the map so that no extra pieces of paper are needed. (See the images here on the 'geek of my own maps for an idea of how this works). This way they can be printed, laminated and easily carried rolled in a lightweight blueprint tube along with all the game bits for convenient Age of Steam fun. I'm 6 maps down and not too many more to go. Much easier, much friendlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.