Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been buying more games than I have been playing, and there are some games that clearly desearve repeat plays, but are only getting played once. Therefore I'm trying to cut down on buying games a little this year.

For example, last year Siena came out from Z-Man, and even though I have had really good luck with their games, I decided to give that one a pass. I haven't played the game, and reports are that it isn't a very intuitive game to play. I like some complex games, but my memory is bad, and we are a very slow group, so it takes alot of effort to get them out. I already have a backlog of games in a similar situation. This should be an easy decision to stick to.

So what happens? I find the game in an auction for $15 and I won't even have to pay shipping. That's crazy cheap for this game. I bid on it without really expecting to win, but knowing that if I did, I will just re-sell it at the upcoming PrezCon auction. I'm sure you know that I won the game, or else why am I babbling on?

Now, I have the game sitting in front of me. It's still in shrink. It was an auction for a damaged box game, but the damage in miniscule. Its pretty... I want to rip it open and check it out... I'm not sure I can do this. I'm going to go read the online rules to the game. That will either talk me into it or out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Do it ... you know you want to ... everyone is doing it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ORRRRRR.....You can sit down with either my group...or with Zev (Z-Man) and play it first...the auction isn't until Saturday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how practical that will be. I hope to make it there some on Thursday, and some on Friday, but I am only guaranteed to be there Saturday and Sunday.

I haven't checked the schedule. I should check the schedule, though... Zev does run demos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditch it. It's a stinker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
Ditch it. It's a stinker.

I've heard someone say that about every game I like. Care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules, and fortunately, my first impression of the game came from Zev's re-written rules. I decided to keep the game, and I already fondled the bits. I appreciate the game's style, but as a gamer, I think the art got a little too much priority. Interesting cardstock. They feel like there's some kind of powder on them.

I don't think the game is really that complicated after-all, but I might have come to s different conclusion without the examples in the updated rules. It will still require a careful introduction to be successful. I have looked at some of the player aids and I will certainly use the card guide, but I think I will take the time to create my own player aids. I want to create a separate player aid for each of the different occupations. As each player progresses through the game, I don't want them to have worry about options that don't apply to them. With that in hand, I think this won't be a hard game to teach.

P.S. I will post the guides when and if I get them done, but I have no idea when I will have time to get to it. Don't hold your breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.