Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Marcel-Andre Casasola Merkle's "sequel" to Verraeter. In this game, everyone is on board a ship which is sailing around a circle orf islands. You can sell goods at the islands for points, and also get points for sailing the ship to the island of your choice (if you're the captain or a successful mutineer) or defeating or assisting in a mutiny (for some other characters). Character choice is made similarily to the Verraeter method - when you drop out of card play in a round, you choose a character from the available cards. The captain stays the captain until a successful mutiny occurs.

I wasn't hugely impressed with the game, but we were playing with an incorrect rule - the rules are reasonably clear on the point, but it was so counterintuitive that we played the first round wrong and then decided to continue that way. The deal is that you can only sell goods at two islands on each round. The actual rule is that these are the island where the ship started this round and the island where the ship started LAST round. We assumed that the two where the islands where the ship started and ended the current round. This had the deleterious effect of possibly making your goods cards worthless, if the ship ends up moving someplace where they can't be sold. With the correct rules you know in advance what goods can be sold. However, it also means that in order for controlling the ship movement to be meaningful for anything other than the immediate points, you have to be planning to sell something there next round (since you can't sell there this round). So, suppose you have two ruby cards and want to make sure the ship goes to a ruby island so you can sell these next round. In order to have a good shot at controlling the ship (as either captain or mutineer), I'd say you need two conflict cards. That leaves one card (hand size is five) to sell this turn - since only the player with the most goods on a island gets points, that probably won't do you any good.

I'll try the game again with the correct rules, but I'm not terribly optimistic - I doubt the game will be awful, but I don't think it will be particularly interesting either. It's possible that a little tweaking (such as having a larger hand size) might help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.