Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Caylus, vs James and Alex, also new to the game. I had read up about it and explained the rules: I also went first which was probably a mistake. I opened for cloth and sent a man to the castle, while James took stone and Alex went for the carpenter. I also placed on the 3 deniers building. No one moved the provost and Alex built the wooden pedlar. Me and James built at the castle, and I took a royal favour for going first, which I put on the buildings track. Next round I was able to collect 2 loads, mainly courtesy of Alex's pedlar while James and used the Carpenter and Alex went into the stables. James built the mason. I only used one load, and advanced to the 2nd level of favour, building the wooden cloth/food producer. I still had cloth, so I went to the joust field and built the stone wood and food producer. Alex went to the castle and started along the cubes favour track. The castle was scored, giving me a favour, and I went further on the buildings track, turning the first pink building (a cloth/food producer), into a house. Next round I placed on the basic pedlar because I wanted to use the cube in the basic carpentar next door, but the others took the carpenters, so I went for the Mason instead. James built the Lawyer, Alex a production building.I built a two stone one wood production builiding. Alex delivered two loads to the castle and got some deniers. I had cloth surplus again, so went to the joust field and built another house, on the pink stone quarry. The others were using my stone buildings. Alex went to the castle with two more loads, getting more deniers. The next turn I was using my buildings, and the gold mine, which was risky since the provost might not reach there (James had lost use of my stone building that way the previous turn). Anyway I was able to deliver 3 Loads to the Castle at once, buliding a 3rd house and causing Alex to suggest James and he concede, since I had more buildings than both of them put together and more points and more income. I agreed to this, saddened that it should end.

I am loathe to suspect imbalance in such a good game, I reckon most of my lead was due to having a clue about what I was doing. Anyway, next game I shall start last as a handicap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons you did so well was probably because you went farther than allowed on the building track. Until the first castle scoring, you can only use the first two columns of favors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou Sean! I will explain that to my fellow players, better they get annoyed with me than think the game unbalanced. Guess I would have built some more wooden buildings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other reason you did well is probably because you played better than them. Everyone should be trying hard to 1) get as many resource cubes as they can, 2) win the free bonus favors that get handed out every turn and probably spend most of them on the build track, and 3) not run out of money. These three concepts will take you very far. Oh yeah, and be the person who builds the stone production buildings. That's really important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Quote:
The castle was scored, giving me a favour, and I went further on the buildings track, turning the first pink building (a cloth/food producer), into a house.

Heh, beaten to the mark, but yeah you "cheated" right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I first cheated when I "went to the Joust field and built the stone wood and food producer".

It is possible I played better. Going first does help though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.