Thumb up
 Hide
176 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 

Board Game: King of Tokyo
King of Tokyo» Forums » News

Subject: Space Penguin Promo monster! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rage [+] popcorn [+] moderation_police [+] Unfair_Practices [+] [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Space Base fanMicrobadge: Ecos : First Continent fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG poster
EitherOrlok wrote:
rickert wrote:
as long as that company treats what I want from them with a less cavalier, bordering on disdainful attitude.
DAMN THEM AND THEIR exclusivePRIZE SUPPORT only availableFOR TOURNAMENT PLAY!
See now that's what I'm TALKING about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Mage: The Awakening RPG fanMicrobadge: Old School Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Caution: May contain wargame like substanceMicrobadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.
rickert wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
rickert wrote:
as long as that company treats what I want from them with a less cavalier, bordering on disdainful attitude.
I fail to see the problem.

It's a prize you get for winning one of their tournaments. It's not an expansion, and it's not something that's meant to be sold to the public, as that would defeat the whole point of it being a prize.

There's nothing cavalier or disdainful about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ethnos fanMicrobadge: Arcadia Quest: Inferno fanMicrobadge: Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia fanMicrobadge: The Networks fanMicrobadge: Vikings Gone Wild fan
They were giving out the promo pack of 11 cards to everyone for free and you won a space penguin just by playing the game at their section of the hall ( not at their booth ) with 5-6 people and winning that game. There was no actual tournament. Also, they ran out of the Space Penguin on Friday night and were taking down peoples info that won to send him to them in the mail later.

And if Im not mistaken, an alternate rule for the Power Up expansion is to draft power cards which would then allow people to play the bear or penguin promo while using the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
ErnieB wrote:

And if Im not mistaken, an alternate rule for the Power Up expansion is to draft power cards which would then allow people to play the bear or penguin promo while using the expansion.
that seems less thematic, I'm suprised they don't do evolution cards for the promos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Space Base fanMicrobadge: Ecos : First Continent fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG poster
EitherOrlok wrote:
rickert wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
rickert wrote:
I fail to see the problem.

It's a prize you get for winning one of their tournaments. It's not an expansion, and it's not something that's meant to be sold to the public, as that would defeat the whole point of it being a prize.

There is everything disdainful and cavalier in not caring if they ever make this product available to fans of the game who can't play in events because there are none within their vicinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Mage: The Awakening RPG fanMicrobadge: Old School Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Caution: May contain wargame like substanceMicrobadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.
rickert wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
There is everything disdainful and cavalier in not caring if they ever make this product available to fans of the game who can't play in events because there are none within their vicinity.
Ask your FLGS to sign up for the IELLO organized play program. That solves the "none within the vicinity issue".

http://www.iellogames.com/organizedplay.html

Right there on the first page of this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Dice Tower Gaming Awards fanMicrobadge: Plaid Hat Games fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Squirrel!!!!!!
I have a hard time understanding how someone would care so much about a freakin card... but not love the game enough to keep it.

The whole thing is irrational and childish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Golden Board Game Collector
All the King of Tokyo base characters and panda have Power-up evolution card support, Brokenbear came before Power-Up so I get why that one has none, but why on earth does the Space Penguin not have Power-Up expansion support? The upcoming halloween themed 2 character pack does....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
MCollier wrote:
The upcoming halloween themed 2 character pack does....
The what now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
MCollier wrote:
The what now?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/188958
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Yokohama Deluxe fanMicrobadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Heavy Cardboard podcast fan
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
MCollier wrote:
The what now?
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/984666/new-expansion-hallowe...

I think the official entry is pending more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
PhoenixPez wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
MCollier wrote:
The what now?
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/984666/new-expansion-hallowe...

I think the official entry is pending more information.
Thanks.

How did this not appear in my subscription list?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Robert E. Howard fanMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Instant Human - just add coffeeMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: The Dude Abides
What is this 11 card expansion?

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jorune wrote:

Jorune
Not an expansion, I believe.

It's 11 promo cards.

They're now very hard to get hold of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Catch Up Games fanMicrobadge: Clank! fanMicrobadge: Res Arcana fan
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

Not that hard anymore: you just have to come to a KOT tournament (as stated before, any FLGS can sign up for one - in the US and France for now, but soon in other countries too) or meet us at a major event. We'll be more than glad to give them to you.

As for Space Penguin, it doesn't come with Evolution cards because it's really a promo: we want it to be a cool bonus monster you're happy to get your hands on, without the people who don't feeling they're missing game-changing contents. I hope everyone understand this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
It's a cool promo for sure I just think it loses something by not having the flavory evolution cards for it to fit into the Power-Up expansion, but I'm weird like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

Not that hard anymore: you just have to come to a KOT tournament (as stated before, any FLGS can sign up for one - in the US and France for now, but soon in other countries too) or meet us at a major event. We'll be more than glad to give them to you.

As for Space Penguin, it doesn't come with Evolution cards because it's really a promo: we want it to be a cool bonus monster you're happy to get your hands on, without the people who don't feeling they're missing game-changing contents. I hope everyone understand this.
Having signs to indicate the precise conditions for getting the promos would have been a great help. Nobody told me at Origins when I came by the booth that the 11 cards were available for the asking. When I asked about the Space Penguin, I was told it was a prize for winning a TOURNAMENT, not a single game. I work for another company at both Origins and GenCon and never play in a tournament for any game because I never had more than 2-3 hours off at a time. I hope you understand my frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Board Game Arena playerMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fanMicrobadge: IELLO fanMicrobadge: Captain Fish fan - King of New YorkMicrobadge: Richard Garfield fan
rickert wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

Having signs to indicate the precise conditions for getting the promos would have been a great help. Nobody told me at Origins when I came by the booth that the 11 cards were available for the asking. When I asked about the Space Penguin, I was told it was a prize for winning a TOURNAMENT, not a single game. I work for another company at both Origins and GenCon and never play in a tournament for any game because I never had more than 2-3 hours off at a time. I hope you understand my frustration.
Why didn't you introduce yourself at Origins?
You should have ask for me, I was there the all show and I was wearing a bright yellow t-shirt with my name on big letters on it: STEPHAN.
Next time you come to our booth, don't be so shy.
I am glad that beside all the bad things you have to say about us you still grace our booth with your presence.
See you at Gen Con? No hard feeling :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Board Game Arena playerMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fanMicrobadge: IELLO fanMicrobadge: Captain Fish fan - King of New YorkMicrobadge: Richard Garfield fan
MCollier wrote:
It's a cool promo for sure I just think it loses something by not having the flavory evolution cards for it to fit into the Power-Up expansion, but I'm weird like that
Developing a new monster is easy: we just need to get a new artwork.

Developing new evolutions is a much more involved process: we need to sit down with Richard and play test for hours in order to balance them and make sure they won't break the game.

This is why our promo monster don't have evolutions, but it looks like they are still cool enough since they create such an interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
Microbadge: Hyperbole is, without question, the single greatest thing in the entire universe!Microbadge: "You remind me of the babe." "What babe?" "The babe with the power."Microbadge: "What power?" "The power of voodoo." "Who do?"Microbadge: "You do." "Do what?" "Remind me of the babe."Microbadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.
IelloGames wrote:
This is why our promo monster don't have evolutions, but it looks like they are still cool enough since they create such an interest.
It sure it is cool! And it will be rather tricky to get it around here, in Brazil.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
tiagoVIP wrote:
IelloGames wrote:
It sure it is cool! And it will be rather tricky to get it around here, in Brazil.

Regards,
Don't give up so easily. We have a distributor in South America.
Go to your FLGS, bug them to get the tournament stuff, the info will climb back up to us and you will get your penguins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
IelloGames wrote:
rickert wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

You should have ask for me, I was there the all show and I was wearing a bright yellow t-shirt with my name on big letters on it: STEPHAN.
I am glad that beside all the bad things you have to say about us you still grace our booth with your presence.
I like several of your games actually and mentioned the company when I did a preview on GenCon 2012 for The Herald Bulletin, the newspaper where I work in a city less than a hour's drive from Indy.

http://heraldbulletin.com/ricksrecroom/x1040821095/Gen-Con-r...

But I thought the person working in the area where people were playing KoT would know how to get the promos so I took their answer as being the truth. I wish you well with that game and with your version of Innovation. which looked amazing when I saw it at your booth. But a very big pet peeve of mine is promos that are never made available to fans of a game after a time of being available in promotional form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
rickert wrote:
IelloGames wrote:
rickert wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

I like several of your games actually and mentioned the company when I did a preview on GenCon 2012 for The Herald Bulletin, the newspaper where I work in a city less than a hour's drive from Indy.

But I thought the person working in the area where people were playing KoT would know how to get the promos so I took their answer as being the truth. I wish you well with that game and with your version of Innovation. which looked amazing when I saw it at your booth. But a very big pet peeve of mine is promos that are never made available to fans of a game after a time of being available in promotional form.

I remember your article in the Indy newspaper. I still have a copy that you gave me.

The minimum size for a King of Tokyo tournament is 5 players so all the games played at Origins qualified.

My invitation to stop by at Gen Con is still standing. I will be esay to spot... Your call :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
IelloGames wrote:
rickert wrote:
IelloGames wrote:
rickert wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

I remember your article in the Indy newspaper. I still have a copy that you gave me.

The minimum size for a King of Tokyo tournament is 5 players so all the games played at Origins qualified.

My invitation to stop by at Gen Con is still standing. I will be esay to spot... Your call :-)
I will definitely stop by and say hello. I honestly hope you have a good show. I would like to talk to you about being one of the companies I will include in my reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
Microbadge: IPA Beer fan - Make it hoppyMicrobadge: Maltese Falcon fanMicrobadge: Xbox One fanMicrobadge: Golden Retriever loverMicrobadge: Out of the ooze and born to cruise!
JonJacob wrote:
I like Kings of Tokyo and enjoyed the game but haven't bothered to buy my own copy because I game with two people who own it. Mike Hutton has convinced me that I must buy one now to counteract his ... uh ... action (trying so hard to be polite here).

Order placed, my support for them is in. Each time someone starts to feel self entitled and then boycotts over something that ridiculous I'll be here to counteract it. I'll buy 100 copies of KoT if I have to.

Really, the guy supports a super rich hockey team that offers lots of exclusive promo's but doesn't extend that same courtesy to small poor game companies. hmmmmm
That's more silly then getting rid of a game because you can't get additional characters without playing in tournaments at conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] |