Thumb up
 Hide
176 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [8] | 

Board Game: King of Tokyo
King of Tokyo» Forums » News

Subject: Space Penguin Promo monster! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rage [+] popcorn [+] moderation_police [+] Unfair_Practices [+] [View All]
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
Microbadge: IPA Beer fan - Make it hoppyMicrobadge: Maltese Falcon fanMicrobadge: Xbox One fanMicrobadge: Golden Retriever loverMicrobadge: Out of the ooze and born to cruise!
Jerome75 wrote:
I have a hard time understanding how someone would care so much about a freakin card... but not love the game enough to keep it.

The whole thing is irrational and childish.
I'm guessing you weren't around when Agricola was picked up by ZMAN. A lot of us paid up front to make it happen and as a thank you we received animeeples rather than cubes. The outrage at BGG was pathetic and it went on for WEEKS. People whining and crying and bitching that they were NEVER going to buy a game from ZMAN unless they GOT THEIR DAMN ANIMEEPLES! So ZMAN caved and everyone got them. I didn't think it was a big deal but I DID think the way people behaved was hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
ixnay66 wrote:
Jerome75 wrote:
I have a hard time understanding how someone would care so much about a freakin card... but not love the game enough to keep it.

The whole thing is irrational and childish.
I'm guessing you weren't around when Agricola was picked up by ZMAN. A lot of us paid up front to make it happen and as a thank you we received animeeples rather than cubes. The outrage at BGG was pathetic and it went on for WEEKS. People whining and crying and bitching that they were NEVER going to buy a game from ZMAN unless they GOT THEIR DAMN ANIMEEPLES! So ZMAN caved and everyone got them. I didn't think it was a big deal but I DID think the way people behaved was hilarious.
It's over a year since the 1st Zombicide KS finished, and still people moan, cry, and bitch, about the exclusive promos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Whapham
United States
Sunbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: Sorcerer fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan
I played in 4 games total during Origins and managed to get 2 of the penguins on Friday (bald dude in the Mage Wars Beastmaster t-shirt). I kept one and gave one to one of the guys at our table because he really wanted one for his daughter. I also got 4 packs of the promo cards throughout the convention. Winning the Penguin made me go out and buy the game and expansion... And they did not come with evolution cards either, which is fine. Just dont play the Power Up expansion with it
PB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Robert E. Howard fanMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Instant Human - just add coffeeMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: The Dude Abides
PoppaBear wrote:
I played in 4 games total during Origins and managed to get 2 of the penguins on Friday (bald dude in the Mage Wars Beastmaster t-shirt). I kept one and gave one to one of the guys at our table because he really wanted one for his daughter. I also got 4 packs of the promo cards throughout the convention. Winning the Penguin made me go out and buy the game and expansion... And they did not come with evolution cards either, which is fine. Just dont play the Power Up expansion with it
PB
That's really cool you gave the penguin to the guy for his daughter.

Can you elaborate on the promo pack? What cards does it contain?

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Jaws fan Microbadge: I have a nemesisMicrobadge: Animorphs fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!
mhutton wrote:
Sold my copy today, take that iello you pieces of trash!
Aren't you the guy who was laughing at people who wanted zombicide promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Microbadge: I like learning games more than winning them!Microbadge: TraderMicrobadge: Type O Negative fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
Jorune wrote:
PoppaBear wrote:
PB

Jorune
It's the same promo cards from before:

King of Tokyo: Promo Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
mhutton wrote:
Sold my copy today, take that iello you pieces of trash!

When people parade general idiocy in plain view, it actually makes my life easier as I don't have to pretend to notice them anymore.

Promos have been a thing in the gaming industry for years. YEARS. You don't like it? You're in the wrong fucking hobby.

--------------

As a more pleasant aside, my wife surprised me with a copy of King of Tokyo as one of my Father's Day presents. My brother already owns it, but it's just one of those games that has never failed me, and we can play with pretty much anyone. I hope this game stays in print for years to come, and IELLO, keep on pumping out those rewards for players who enjoy and support your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
cornixt wrote:
Enjoy the game for what you have. I will never understand the attitude that if you can't easily buy absolutely everything ever made for a particular game that you will not buy the game at all. Extreme OCD?

...have you, uh, been on BGG long?

laugh

I'm convinced we may have the highest concentrated dose of the disorder, right here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I like learning games more than winning them!Microbadge: TraderMicrobadge: Type O Negative fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
I think what Iello is doing is fine. Has anyone considered that perhaps they don't have a lot of them so instead of selling them they are giving them away to promote the game. They were available to buy for a short period so what's the big deal? How is this any different then what Wizards of the Coast does with MTG promos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Whapham
United States
Sunbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: Sorcerer fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Legion fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan
Jorune wrote:
PoppaBear wrote:
PB

Jorune
OMG, yeah. it was really cool. the whole weekend was one big karma-filled donut of fun. Couldnt ask for a better time. Random Acts of Kindness are really fullfilling and rewarding...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Transmetropolitan fanMicrobadge: Sci Fi Games fanMicrobadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Nemo's War fanMicrobadge: At Dawn We Ate Sugar Smacks
PhoenixPez wrote:
You do realize that if you sell your copy of the game it's not like Iello loses the money you already gave them for it, right? They already have your money, you're not doing them any harm in selling your used copy.
Ah, but it does mean that _someone else_ who would have bought a new copy instead bought this used copy, thus depriving Iello, a retailer and a distributor their cut. (I think it's an opportunity cost, but my microeconomics is fuzzy after all these years.)

But, yeah, ultimately it's not that big of a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Yokohama Deluxe fanMicrobadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Heavy Cardboard podcast fan
anarchy wrote:
PhoenixPez wrote:
You do realize that if you sell your copy of the game it's not like Iello loses the money you already gave them for it, right? They already have your money, you're not doing them any harm in selling your used copy.
Ah, but it does mean that _someone else_ who would have bought a new copy instead bought this used copy, thus depriving Iello, a retailer and a distributor their cut. (I think it's an opportunity cost, but my microeconomics is fuzzy after all these years.)

But, yeah, ultimately it's not that big of a deal.
I suppose that's true, but even still if you're trying to make a point about not giving away promos that not everybody has access to, putting more money in Gamestop's pockets is about the worst way to go about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome M. II
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chrono Trigger fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: Game of Thrones
I was an exhibitor @ origins and spoke with the Iello guys as I LOVE KOT and I don't know if this was mentioned b/c I didnt read the whole thread BUT this was a very limited run they did - they only had FIFTY Space Penguins on hand and that's after they next day air'd them in from Vegas. Winners outside the lucky 50 are on a mailing list for when the next batch arrives.

At this point they are EXTREMELY rare and very "cool" to boot - see what I did there? Will they release the special abilities for Space Penguin @ GenCon? whistle I mean that would be pretty "cool" - see what I di..angry

Anywho, Congrats to all the tourney winners!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Cubs fanMicrobadge: San Diego Chargers fanMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Parent of big sister and little brother
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:
What is this 11 card expansion?

Jorune
Not an expansion, I believe.

It's 11 promo cards.

They're now very hard to get hold of.
Not that hard anymore: you just have to come to a KOT tournament (as stated before, any FLGS can sign up for one - in the US and France for now, but soon in other countries too) or meet us at a major event. We'll be more than glad to give them to you.

As for Space Penguin, it doesn't come with Evolution cards because it's really a promo: we want it to be a cool bonus monster you're happy to get your hands on, without the people who don't feeling they're missing game-changing contents. I hope everyone understand this.
And I hope everyone understands why I sold my copy and will refuse to buy any jello products in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Board Game Arena playerMicrobadge: King of Tokyo fanMicrobadge: IELLO fanMicrobadge: Captain Fish fan - King of New YorkMicrobadge: Richard Garfield fan
mhutton wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

Not that hard anymore: you just have to come to a KOT tournament (as stated before, any FLGS can sign up for one - in the US and France for now, but soon in other countries too) or meet us at a major event. We'll be more than glad to give them to you.

As for Space Penguin, it doesn't come with Evolution cards because it's really a promo: we want it to be a cool bonus monster you're happy to get your hands on, without the people who don't feeling they're missing game-changing contents. I hope everyone understand this.
And I hope everyone understands why I sold my copy and will refuse to buy any jello products in the future
Good. I was afraid for a moment that you will not buy anymore IELLO products.
I feel bad for the JELLO company though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Jaws fan Microbadge: I have a nemesisMicrobadge: Animorphs fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!
are you planning to not give any more money to cool mini or not?

mhutton wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Board Game Plus Member!Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Game Designer
AndySzy wrote:
mhutton wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

are you planning to not give any more money to cool mini or not?
Or Indie Boards And Cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mhutton wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

Nope wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mhutton wrote:
Mattintheweb wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

It's 11 promo cards.

Because you and Rick are a pair of self-entitled yutz? Seriously...it's a piece of cardboard, nothing "special" (eg artist signature, numbered collectible, etc). Christ, if you're THAT worried about it, get someone to scan it and send the file to you - then print your own.

My friends dragged me over to the booth to play the game; I was barely interested but played anyway because they hyped it so much. I happen to win the space penguin. Decided the game just didn't scratch any itches for me (sorry Stephan). Twenty minutes later I handed the thing to the couple I played with (who had bought the game). I figured if I ever wanted it (again) I could likely get it at the BGG Store. Turns out I can't. Oh darn... Made my friends' day AND had one less thing to carry around the Con.

The promo did exactly what it was intended to do - I *almost* bought the game just because of having won it. But, as I said, it just wasn't for me. Yeah, we all like to have every little thing for every game we own, but you know what...ya can't, so put on your big boy pants and get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Microbadge: Live long and prosperMicrobadge: Thumbs up for 4 fingers--I love cartoons!Microbadge: Rock!Microbadge: Left-Handed Toons fanMicrobadge: "Pew Pew!"
franklincobb wrote:
cornixt wrote:
Enjoy the game for what you have. I will never understand the attitude that if you can't easily buy absolutely everything ever made for a particular game that you will not buy the game at all. Extreme OCD?

...have you, uh, been on BGG long?

laugh

I'm convinced we may have the highest concentrated dose of the disorder, right here on BGG.
I thought they would be more of the "must buy it at any price" kind than "cut off their nose to spite their face"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Cubs fanMicrobadge: San Diego Chargers fanMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Parent of big sister and little brother
Why would I not buyanythingfrom cool mini or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
Microbadge: Warhammer 40,000 fan - Crimson Fists - There is only the Emperor! He is our shield and our protector!Microbadge: Ogre fanMicrobadge: Revolt on Antares fanMicrobadge: Combined Army - Alien Evolved Inteligence Microbadge: De Bellis Antiquitatis fan
rickert wrote:
I work for another company at both Origins and GenCon and never play in a tournament for any game because I never had more than 2-3 hours off at a time.
Hey, can you tell us what company it is you work for so I can throw a hissy fit about it and refuse to every buy any of their products? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Space Base fanMicrobadge: Ecos : First Continent fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG poster
flintlocklaser wrote:
rickert wrote:
I work for another company at both Origins and GenCon and never play in a tournament for any game because I never had more than 2-3 hours off at a time.
Hey, can you tell us what company it is you work for so I can throw a hissy fit about it and refuse to every buy any of their products? Thanks!
I work for Rio Grande. Come in and hissy all you like. All of the volunteers in the room enjoy hissies better than any other game behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
Microbadge: Warhammer 40,000 fan - Crimson Fists - There is only the Emperor! He is our shield and our protector!Microbadge: Ogre fanMicrobadge: Revolt on Antares fanMicrobadge: Combined Army - Alien Evolved Inteligence Microbadge: De Bellis Antiquitatis fan
It's so unfair that you expect me to go to a con to pitch a hissy fit at you; good customer service would mean I could pitch a hissy fit without having to jump through your exclusionary hoops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Space Base fanMicrobadge: Ecos : First Continent fanMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 19 BGG poster
flintlocklaser wrote:
It's so unfair that you expect me to go to a con to pitch a hissy fit at you; good customer service would mean I could pitch a hissy fit without having to jump through your exclusionary hoops!
Sorry to disappoint your hissiness, but I only work for Rio at Cons, so in every other instance I am not representing them. If you'd like, you can contact Rio and complain about me in an effort to get them to end my employment. Perhaps you are that persuasive. Maybe your hissy will outdo mine as I have persuaded nobody that exclusive promos are bad business. Or at least nobody in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [8] |