Popular Tags: [View All]
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only an idiot spends this much money on a board game and I can say that with a great deal of certainty because I am one such idiot. I wasn't even considering getting it until the last Unity Games event when I spent several hours in close proximity to it, playing a friend's expanded variant. Then came the new job and the severance package from the old job and ... well you know what a gamer is capable of rationalizing (see, also, my Heroscape collection).

So I got the darn thing and played it for the first time last night and then again today. It was, of course, Settlers my first great Euro Game love and a game I still like so it's not about the game play but about the bits. By and large the bits are just fine but with a few little things that are clearly an oversight in the design that I find irksome given the price.

First, as has been commented by others, the number disks. They are not easy to read. The gold numbers on a clear plastic background are very low contrast against the backgrounds of the tiles. I think black outlines around all the numbers would have been a simple fix. Next time I play I am going to try the -- gasp -- cardboard numbers that came with the copy I got for 10 times less than this edition. Also, my old version of Settlers has letters on the number disks which tells you the order to place them in. No such easy guide is available in the luxe version. Nor is there a simple list of the order of the numbers in the rules. Even I, Settlers addict that I am, have not memorized this order so a little help here would have made it a lot friendlier.

Next the ports. The game comes with a wood frame that you place around the island with the trading ports pre-placed upon them. No problem with that. Indeed it's a good idea that would work in cardboard as well. But, with Settlers 3D, with several of the ports it is impossible to tell which hex side the ports are supposed to be on. As a result you wind up guessing where the ports should be. That's just dumb design.

Also despite all the splendor elsewhere there is a plethora of flimsy plastic. The card holders and cases that the pieces are stored in are exceptionally thin boring black plastic. Why skimp there?

So, in brief, you have to be an idiot to pay this much for a board game but there's another word for putting out something like this and not making sure everything about it is golden. For the big bucks, it's the little things that count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Vautour
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you on the ports.What I did,was use the ports from seaferers.You would think for $400 (cnd) that they would have made it perfect. But I'm sure that the marketing geniuses outhere knew that there were more crazy people than you and me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fast forward 10 or so years: Settlers of Catan Limited Edition 3D is currently selling used on amazon for $1,399.99. ..and you thought $300 was too much. LOL... times change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zenflux
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, selling for that amount of money, but do you know a case someone buying at that price?

Times have changed, but not in the way you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.