Hide
3 Posts

Rezolution: A Dark Tomorrow» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Some opinions on the Quick Start Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cesar sanchez
msg tools
When I found out that there was a game that was not set in a medieval fantasy setting, that included hackers and that had mechs I was totally sold for, so I went online and found the Quick Start Rules to check it out. After a quick read I came with the following:

- Opposed Checks: instead of Target Number checks, this means that every time you want to attack, you and your opponent need to throw dice. Don't get me wrong, it is an innovation vs. the rest of the games in the market, but when you start playing bigger games with more figures and/or more attacks per figure (as it always happens), this can really take time.
- Range: You got short, long and and mod for long range. Please see some comments below.
- Targetting Rules: You can only target the nearest model. Please see some comments below.

From what I've seen, the recent succesfull miniature games have been those that provide a simple, efficient, flexible mechaninc and rules set that allow players to have fun without worrying about rules too much (and that's being said by the resident Rules Lawyer of my community). Things like targetting restrictions, short/long ranges and overall restrictions give space to endless discussions ("is it in range?, is it in long range?, is it in short range?, etc"), cheesy maneuvers (I hide my 4" mech behind my puny new recruit) and overall boredom (why can't I just do this?) that limit the gamer's options.

Finally, I really like the idea behind this game, I think it adds a LOT of interesting stuff that we haven't seen before, and I hope it does well.

Kaiser X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your comments are interesting, but is this really a review, if you've only read the Quick Start rules and haven't played a game yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cesar sanchez
msg tools
Well, as I said, I've had only the chance to read the quickstart.

I'm actually buying the rulebook, I see a lot of interesting new things from this game, but I stand on my opinions on the "basics" side, since these don't chenge from quickstart to full-blown.

I think that, if kept a simpler mechanic and lost some "complications", this could be a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.