Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flynn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are dozens of pirate games out there and I have a few - for some reason though, they always seem "broken" or "incomplete" when it comes to gameplay. I would prefer a game where players would have to contend with buried treasure, mutiny - more like a real-time strategy game. Does anyone know the game that would hit closest to that mark. Much appreciation. Thanks, Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Winds of Plunder sounds like it could be a lot of fun. So much so that I broke down and pre-ordered it on GMTs site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself I've always liked the old Avalon Hill title Blackbeard which sadly is out of print and hard to find.

I think I would also recommend the upcoming Winds of Plunder simply due to the word of mouth it's getting. I haven't been one of the lucky bunch to get to play the demo but I hear extremely good things about it from those who have. My hope is that it's out in time for the annual "Talk Like a Pirate Day". arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "Plunder" (NOT to be confused with "Winds of Plunder") may fit into what you're looking for. I think it's pretty fun, has a moderate bit of complexity and various facets to the game.

I know I'll probably get scorned for even mentioning it, but "Sword and Skull" can be pretty fun, too, depending on what type of game you're looking for and who your "target audience" is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group was hard-pressed to find a decent pirate game last time 'International Talk Like A Pirate Day' rolled around. We ended up playing Captain Treasure Boots from Cheapass, which was more fun than it had any right to be.

Since then, we've played Pirate's Cove, which is okay, but not nearly as Pirate-y as one might hope. I also own Loot, which is like playing a card game onto which someone has pasted Pirate pictures. I've heard great things about Blackbeard, but I've never played it.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Laser-focused, with a half thought-out plan, this is what a hero looks like." -Narrator in the 2018 Peter Rabbit movie.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had more fun with the old Parker Bros. game Trade Winds (1960), the US version of Buccaneer, than with anything done since then. But there is probably a heavy nostalgia factor, as it was my favorite game when I was a kid ... nonetheless, I still enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Captain Treasure Boots. We've had more replays of this than any other Cheapass game. Our group also likes Pirate's Plunder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I just saw a used copy of Blackbeard at my FLGS for $20. If you want it, you can order it: http://gatorgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found anything better than Plunder. I have been enjoying Loot recently, but even though it is a fun game, it doesn't have that "Arrrrrr" factor that I think you are looking for. Winds of Plunder shows some promise, so I would keep an eye on that. Pirate's Cove has found favor with some, but the game part of it fell flat for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Nardo
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
junkfield wrote:
I know there are dozens of pirate games out there and I have a few - for some reason though, they always seem "broken" or "incomplete" when it comes to gameplay. I would prefer a game where players would have to contend with buried treasure, mutiny - more like a real-time strategy game. Does anyone know the game that would hit closest to that mark.

Depends on what you're looking for.

It you want the pacing of a Euro, naturally I'll point you towards Winds of Plunder. Seriously, there are "Mutiny" cards, and Buried Treasure, along with other goodies ("Rats", "Misfire", "Storm", "Tavern Brawl", etc.) in the Action cards to contend with. But you won't find high historical fidelity here.

If you're looking for a more historical simulation, I'd point you to the Avalon Hill version of Blackbeard.

And if you're looking for true completeness... well, AFAIK, no one has published a game where the players eat weevily flour, scrape barnicles, or try to avoid being caught below deck drinking past eight o'clock at night. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I notice that you're in Alabama, if it's the northern part of the state, come on to MidSouthCon in Memphis Tennessee March 24th through 26th. There's a game of Pirates Cove scheduled you can play. Plus, thanks to the generosity of trnardo, I'll have a Winds of Plunder Demo copy that we'll be playing a couple of times over the weekend as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Carter
United States
Groton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
pirate games ... always seem "broken" or "incomplete" when it comes to gameplay

Not criticisms we've been hearing of our recently released:

Ice Pirates of Harbour Grace

The game starts out hunting for map pieces to allow you to find and dig up the Pirate Admiral's treasure (hidden somewhere in his secret base on Kelly's Island) but once you've got it you then have to fight your way to safety while every other player is attempting to steal the treasure off you.

The game is fairly light, but with wind directions, icebergs and ship improvements like Cannons and Main Sails to create a stronger underlying strategic basis than you might expect--and the epic battles at the end means you definitely come away knowing you played a Pirate game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only pirate game I have played is "Bucaneer", an old Waddington's title in which the players sail to Treasure island and, erm, get treasure (occasionally they are blown to some remote locale instead.

The game is fun if people are prepared to attack each other, instead of following the optimal strategy and just sailing back and forth collecting treasure.

I have Winds of Plunder on pre-order, so here's hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Pirate's Cove once and couldn't stand it. It does have oodles of theme, though, so your mileage may vary.

The only pirate game I've found that I really enjoyed is Caribbean ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13301 ). Treasure, theft, sailing, rum, and nifty doubloon pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
The RallyBird Baseball board game
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know which is best; it's a good question!

Additional games to consider are Mutiny! and Corsairs.

Mutiny:

Bid for control of key pirates using cutlasses and rum bottles; control of a pirate gives certain temporary abilities. It's still in print, even available via Barnes & Nobles (!).

Corsairs:

Use provision cards to chase down galleys, fire color-coded dice broadsides against competing players, attempt to board and take the galleys by rolling regular dice and adding the score to your played pirate cards. Out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.