Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: February 10th, 2006

Game: Sticheln

Players: Ali, Attila, Chantal, Fury, Haleh, Sasha, Tasia and Valdir (myself)

Having finished our second game of Eco-Fluxx, I proposed a game of Sticheln, that some of the players around the table had already played in our previous meeting.

Haleh had to order pizza, so we waited a little bit and then I explained the rules to all the players. Even with the illustrations in front of them there was some confusion on how to play the game (I'm telling you, this crowd is tough! ), but we played on anyway.

First was the choosing of our "misery colours": I explained to them that the misery colour would count points against them, so they should choose a card with a low value. I put down a purple 1, Ali and Sasha went for red, two others went for blue and the others chose a different colour each.

We used a small pepper container as first player marker and I offered to go first (as in this game going first is disadvantageous, you can never win). I put down a high yellow (Haleh's misery colour), Ali put also a yellow, so he was out of contention. Chantal put some other colour and the game starts in earnest.

I don't have all the details, but some funny moments happened that I can remember clearly: in the second or third round Sasha was the last or second to last player and said "ha" and played a red 17 that no one could beat. He was happy he had won the trick, but then he remembered that red was his bad colour. Ouch!

In two different rounds Haleh claimed tricks with high cards in her misery colour, putting her firmly in last place.

Every time someone was about to win a trick all the other players urged the players still remaining to play to put some bad cards in the mix. It was nasty!

Final Score
Player: Points
Chantal: 17
Sasha: 6
Fury: 0 (no tricks won)
Attila: -1 (no tricks won)
Valdir: -1 (no tricks won)
Ali: -5
Tasia: -11
Haleh: -32
Chantal succeeded in staying below everybody's radars and won the game convincingly.

It seems to me that in a game with eight players it's better not to try to win the tricks at all than to risk it. The three players who did not win any tricks performed better than most...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: With eight players it's better not to try to win a trick

I find the game best with 3 or 4 players. With any more there is no sense in trying to win tricks or trying to burn. Inevitably the second or last person almost always take the trick. Why burn someone 12 points when you can gain 8 points (ie 8 players). And yes, I've played 8 players at least 10 times.

With 3 or 4 players there is much more temptation to let the trick through. Why grab 3 points for myself when I can burn the other guy 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.