Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using two powers at once would be overkill, but granting separate powers to the two pawns might be reasonable. Thus one might have Herakles and Atlas reunited, one placing two tiles and the other placing domes instead of tiles.

This doesn't work for all godly powers:

Eros: unfair as power is not weakened by only giving it to one pawn
Aphrodite: power is too powerful for a single pawn
Demeter: get one extra pawn

One way to play would be to deal each player three gods and have them each pick one or two gods to use. Everyone should have a good chance of making an effective choice and the number of possible combinations of powers in a game would become vast.

Couple's night out:

Hera & Zeus vs Hades & Persephone vs Hephaestus & Aphrodite*

(Aphrodite* wins if she pins a male pawn in place while Hephaestus in not adjacent to either pawn ... sadly, Hephaestus loses in this case.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Gordon Hamilton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Using two powers at once would be overkill

Actually not, many two-god versus two-god combinations make for a very exciting game. I've even experimented with three and four gods per person, but that really is overkill!

As for your variant, of course you would like different shapes for the different pieces. I must try it...

Gord!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a pawn has two godly powers at once, there seem to be many combinations that are overpowered, such as any pair of Dionysus, Atlas and Herakles. The number of ambiguities would be high, too. When people ask about multiple powers, I just say `we don't do that'. If you've got good combos, on the other hand, ....

Marked pawns are obviously a must. Having the patron gods' names on the pawns would be a big help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note, we tried a 4-player partnership game; each player got one power, and on their turn they could move either piece on their side, but using only their power. Obviously, this works better with some powers than others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Gordon Hamilton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
If a pawn has two godly powers at once, there seem to be many combinations that are overpowered.

I agree that you can find overpowered combinations such as Atlas-Dionysus, and that many of the others require the players to agree on ambiguities. However, if you randomly assign 2 gods to each player you will find that most games do not have an obvious winner, and I think these games are worth exploration by experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.