Subject: Anybody else prefers to view ratings unordered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I m checking out a game entry the comments next to the ratings are very useful. It is especially useful to check out both positive and negative comments. However, if you go to a game entry and click on the number of ratings you get a list of all the ratings with comments, but they are ordered by rating in descending order. So if a game has 500+ ratings it will probably have a first page of 50 ratings with 10's and 9's and a lot of positive comments. You will have to skip to a few pages further to see the more balanced comments, and even more pages to see some comments on the "darker sides" of the game.

I prefer to see positive and negative comments a bit more "randomly" shuffled, listed next to each other. This is possible on BGG. Here's how I do it:

I go to the game entry (let's pick Railroad Tycoon) and click on the figure after "number of ratings" (currently 505, but may increase in the future). My browser goes to this URL:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollections.php3?gameid=171...

Then I change the URL by removing the "&orderby=rating"-part of it

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollections.php3?gameid=171..."

I hit "refresh" and now I get to see what I want: a mix of positive and negative comments! Now I can just browse through some of these comments to get a nice overview about what's good and not so good about the game. Is there anybody else who uses this method?

Aldie & Derk, if you are reading this, maybe, if its not too much work, maybe you could add an option to user preferences to view ratings listed unordered by default?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.