Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a solo game using a house variant I picked up from here - I couldn't find the thread again to give the author credit, but I thought it resulted in a FAR superior game with much more of a slow build of tension to a chaotic climax.

The variant was was, when placing a Gate:
- if placing a new Gate add a monster as usual but DON'T add a Doom token
- if there is a Gate already at the location, add a Doom token and place 1 monster on the location but DON'T add extra monsters
- if the location is sealed, there is a 'monster surge' (as per the errata, place the number of monsters equal to the number of Gates on the board, or the number of players, whichever is greater)

I was really impressed at how well this worked - instead of the usual start-of-game glut of Doom tokens which then slows down to a trickle, the tension slowly ramped up through the game instead. This solo game was the most tense and fun I've ever played. I was one sealed gate away from winning when the Rumor card came up that doesn't let you seal gates, giving the GOO just enough time to get a last Doom token and trigger the final battle. Very close.

I reckon FFG should make this official! Anyone else play with this variant? Experiences? Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Astyaro
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the variant sugested by StormKnight.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/70828

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is a very good variant rule. I tried these rules twice (solo playing with two investigators) and although I failed misrably both times I enjoyed the experience. I am a novice player, though, so maybe I lost because of my inexperience.

However, I still feel that 1 DOOM token per gate opening on a gate is a bit too much for two investigators. It takes several turns to seal a gate while open gates may easily spawn a doom token per turn. Also monsters are more a problem. (You have the same number appearing from gate opening on a gate regardless of the number of investigators)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for finding the author - 'StormKnight' credits 'Nightmare' as well. I'm going to keep playtesting this variant, I like it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.