Subject: Which 18XX games are in print and recommended? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I might like to try an 18XX game. Which are in print, and which are most recommended? I'm not worried about complexity; in fact, I don't want a game that is too light. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
mhowe wrote:
I might like to try an 18XX game. Which are in print, and which are most recommended? I'm not worried about complexity; in fact, I don't want a game that is too light. Thanks.

I can't think of a one that you'd have worry about it being too light; the "lighter" 18xx games really tend to be "shorter", more than anything else.

Generally availalbe 18xx games I'm aware of:

2038 (less readily available than others)
18EU
18VA
18GL
18MEX
18Scan
18FL

Expense - 1856 and 1870 can be found for significantly less than the other games on this list.

I love 2038, and would always recommend it first. I'm also quite fond of 1846, 1870, and 18EU. I didn't care so much for 1856 or 1860, but I think it's really just a matter of the nature of these games - many people find them excellent examples of the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend 1825 (any of the units, though unit 3 is only 2-player) or 1860. Also 18GL is good fun, though you will need to order a copy to be made for you, so not quite as immediately available. I wouldn't say any 18xx games are all that light, calculator/spreadsheet at the ready for all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two other questions.

Are any of them best with 2 players or have good 2 player variants?
Which are shorter? A bit concerned about a 6 hour game and my group.

I am looking for the best shorter 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
1825 unit 3 is for two players only and it plays in a couple of hours once you have a grasp of the rules. It covers Scotland and the northern edge of England.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Elbl
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing 18xx games quite a bit in the past eight months. I have played at least 20 games since that time (not counting setting up a board to 'look for good operations')

My current favorites are:
18VA - shorter game when time may be an issue. Coal mines and 5shares work great.
18EU - I like the minors companies and how they merge to form majors.
1856 - I enjoy the tight money situation.

I have played:
1830, 1835, 1856, 1870, 18GL, 18AL, 18VA, 18GA, 2038

Of the other 18xx games I have read, I really want to try 1841. Regardless, I don't think I'd turn down any opportunity to play an xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mhowe wrote:

I recommend 1824 (Double O Games) as the best I have played in years.

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
tinykitty wrote:
1825 unit 3 is for two players only and it plays in a couple of hours once you have a grasp of the rules. It covers Scotland and the northern edge of England.

Unit 2 however makes a much better two player game than Unit 3, and has the advantage of making a particularly good three player game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mhowe wrote:

There are a bunch of small publishers handling kit games. I don't have a list -- perhaps someone over in the 18XX list on Y! groups has a better handle on that (excellent mailing list BTW). In some cases, like John Tamplin over at Deep Thought Games, the production quality of such kit games rivals and exceeds anything a more traditional publisher might achieve.

As for what is still available? That's a tough call beyond the obvious higher profile publishers (1825, 1835, 1856, 1860, 1870 etc). Of that set I've been very well pleased with 1825 (I have the whole set of everything), 1856 and 1860. In the kit game realm we've been playing 18C2C lately, which is simply amazing in more ways than one, and I've some hope of getting 1826, 1846, and 1854 on the table soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to check out www.18xx.net!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of online and b&m retailers still have 1856 and 1870 in stock so they're relatively easy to get for a decent price. Mayfairgames.com still carries 1825 units 2 and 3. 1830 and 2038 pop up on ebay regularly but 1830 has become quite spendy.

Also, most game conventions will have some players playing an 18xx game. They might be pretty cutthroat, or they might be the best way to get introduced. Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
Mayfairgames.com still carries 1825 units 2 and 3.

If you are going to be buying anything but a fairly trivial order I've found that order direct from Keith at Heron Games in the UK to be the best and most cost efficient way of buying 1825 and bits -- even with the exchange rate penalty and extra shipping costs.

Quote:
Also, most game conventions will have some players playing an 18xx game. They might be pretty cutthroat, or they might be the best way to get introduced. Check it out!

Agreed. There is no better way to learn 18XX than from an experienced set of 18XX mentors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been searching the web for comprehensive info on 18xx games and I'm getting frustrated. Most of them are no longer kept up to date. There seems to be no single site for comprehensive, up-to-date info.

I'm specifically interested in learning about 18MW. Is this thing released? Out of print? Still in design? What's the status?

Also, I've seen mention of 1850 being a "midwest US" game. Is this the same game, or something different?

Sure wish someone would undertake a comprehensive website for 18xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
pirateyar wrote:
I've been searching the web for comprehensive info on 18xx games and I'm getting frustrated. Most of them are no longer kept up to date. There seems to be no single site for comprehensive, up-to-date info.

The 18XX differences list is about as close as you can get to a canonnical source outside of the the 18XX mailing list.

Quote:
Also, I've seen mention of 1850 being a "midwest US" game. Is this the same game, or something different?

Different. Also note that there are many 18XX which share the same name. Thus, for instance, there are at least 6 different games called 1837. Ulimately they are differentiated by their designer's name. In more recent years designers work to ensure that the names of their new games (and their tile assignments) don't collide, often via the 18XX mailing list.

Quote:
Sure wish someone would undertake a comprehensive website for 18xx.

It is a LOT of work. I wouldn't hold my breath. There are well over a hundred 18XX at this point and the field of titles is growing rapidly and shows no sign of slowing down but rather is accellerating via the kit market thanks to people like John Tamplin and his Deep Thought Games. Yeah, the 'geek could take up some of the load, but is poorly suited for representing much of the data collected on say Chris Lawson's 18xx.Net (eg the tile manifests and difference list).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I would be happy if there was simply a site of release news on new games (and where to order them). Deep Thought is great but obviously only covers a few of the kits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
pirateyar wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Welcome.

Quote:
I would be happy if there was simply a site of release news on new games (and where to order them).

I'd say that's pretty much called the 18XX list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The frustrating thing is, there USED to be several websites that seemed to do an excellent job of covering 18xx (notably Blackwater Station), but all of them seem to cease coverage in the late 90s or early 2000s. The hobby certainly doesn't seem to have died out, so it's a shame that no one has kept up the coverage. Sure I understand its a lot of work to run a website, but no one seemed to have problems doing it back then. At the very least, game players and owners could submit more information and photos here at BGG--the listings for 18xx games here are woefully incomplete.

I hate to complain, I always try to refrain from being a net whiner, but as someone who is just getting interested in 18xx and trying to learn more, it's a shame there aren't up-to-date resources out there.

As far as the Yahoo 18xx list, I've joined and started reading posts, but I don't think this is the best approach for a beginner like myself. Most of the threads are discussing particular details of the games that presuppose some knowledge and experience with 18xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have this same exact question. I am in a game club and the owner want's to purchase a few 18xx games for the library.

Other than 1830... what is readily available in print right now or something that can be had for about $80 or less.

He would also like some games that are on the shorter side for the club. 4ish hours rather than 10ish hours. I know that is a tall order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
pilotbob wrote:
Other than 1830... what is readily available in print right now or something that can be had for about $80 or less.

He would also like some games that are on the shorter side for the club. 4ish hours rather than 10ish hours.

Within those limits: Poseidon.

If you relax the time limit, add: 1830 & 1853

The biggest limit is money. Up the base price to ~$150 and the list grows considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
So, I have this same exact question. I am in a game club and the owner want's to purchase a few 18xx games for the library.

He would also like some games that are on the shorter side for the club. 4ish hours rather than 10ish hours. I know that is a tall order.

If availability and price are most important to you, you may want to wait a few months for 1844/1854. Or a bit longer (~1 year) for the GMT release of 1846: The Race for the Midwest. Both of these will probably as easy to get as 1830 and 1853.

1846 has a reputation of being short, but for new players will probably not be under 4 hours. 1844 and 1854 are about 1830-length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
1844 is a rather larger and longer game than 1830. 1830 has 8 companies. 1844 has 14 falling to 11. 1854 is of similar size and length to 1830, but will tend slightly longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I own 1844 already.

1846 is probably a year away, and 1844/1854 Mayfair edition is probably as well. (considering how late they were with 1830 that's my estimate)

I did send him the following:

---

It looks like there is very little if anything in print.

Pretty much most games are going for around $100 in the BGG market place.

Some I found that are shorter:

18AL Print N Play (180 minutes) - $75 in BGG market place.

Steam Over Holland (180 minutes) - $75 (like new), $90 (new) in BGG market place.

1849 (180 minutes) - $90 from All Aboard Games.

Some more normal length ones:

1861: The Railways of the Russian Empire (360 minutes) - $110 (new) in the BGG market place

1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Countries (300 minutes) - $90 (new) in BGG market place

Coming out:

1846 you can pre-order at GMT, won't be out till next summer.

1844/1854 from Mayfair. 1844 is the one I have, but this copy will include 1854 in the same box.

All-Aboard Games has about 11 games that they sell. They manufacture them and sell them. Prices from $90 (1849 listed above) to $248 (1817). This includes 18Mex (210 minuets) which many people seem to like.

Anyway... hope that helps.

---

So, sounds like there's not much I can add to this thus far. I figured $80 target was a bit low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.