Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are tieing at the end of every game! We both end up building up to 21 cities in phase 4 and we both are able to power all 21 cities. We have played a few times now and each time it is the same thing. I've been re-checking the rules in the game and on this site and we are playing correctly. What is wrong with this game? It seems broken.

Secondly, the maximum is 6 players but only 5 turn summary cards are included????

And third, you play until you have built your 21 city but they only give you 22 houses. 21 cities + 1 house for scoring track + player order is 23!

There seems to be some serious issues with this game. I'm disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Are we doing something wrong or is the game just this ba
From my understanding...it is cash in hand that breaks the tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player games often come down to cash in hand to determine the winner. Power Grid is more enjoyable with more people, but it's okay with two, as long as you keep track of your money.

Yes, you didn't get shorted on bits, mine's like that too. But I mainly play more than 2 players (several times with 6), and I've not had an issue with bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you saying that the only main object to this game is who has the most money at the end? If that is the case then the maneuvering during the game of your houses on the different cities seems to be a moot point. Just wait and you'll eventually get your 21 cites along with the other player and just make sure you have a lot of money at the end. That seems strange to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BooChihuahua wrote:
So are you saying that the only main object to this game is who has the most money at the end? If that is the case then the maneuvering during the game of your houses on the different cities seems to be a moot point. Just wait and you'll eventually get your 21 cites along with the other player and just make sure you have a lot of money at the end. That seems strange to me.

There's a fair bit of where-do-you-build-in-order-to-block, as well as how-much-can-I-get-her-to-pay-for-this-power-plant. So in effect, I would say that the two player game comes down to money management.

More than two players, it's much less about the money. I've never seen a money tie breaker in a game with 3 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be doing something wrong.

You don't need to power 21 cities to end the game.

You need to connect 21 cities to end the game. At that point, whoever powers the most wins. So, for example, if you can power 19 and your opponent can power 18, if you can build to 21, you win (if you have the fuel for it.)

Also, the tie-breaker is cash on hand. With careful play, and if no one gets a lucky break, you will often tie for number of cities, but it's rare (although not unheard-of) to tie for cash.

I agree that the 2-player game is not (in my opinion) the sweet spot for Power Grid, but it's still a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
In my opinion the game is overrated.. and with two players.. the game is awful.

Agreed. It really shouldn't be rated as a 2-player game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Power Grid once as a two player game and decided never to do that again. With more than two however I rate it a ten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
In two player, unless one of you does something silly, it is quite likely to end in a tie-breaker.

In my opinion two player PowerGrid is useful to teach the rules and mechanics but not a lot more. We played it two player once, had a tie breaker on money and both thought "Gee this would be much better with more players".

I have since played with five and six players and it is much better. You can still get tie breaks, but it doesn't usually involve all players meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Warpozio
Belgium
gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
In my opinion the game is overrated.. and with two players.. the game is awful.

Definately underrated!! (but don't play it as a two player game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

In my opinion two player PowerGrid is useful to teach the rules and mechanics but not a lot more.

Abso-bloody-lutely

It's very rare (and I'm being kind because I've never found a case) to find a game designed to be played by 4+ that scales effectively down to a 2 player game also. If you mainly play with only one opponent then I recommend sticking with one on one games; Hammer of the Scots, Stratego, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage(HA HA). I guess its no coincidence that these tend to be Wargames and wives sometimes tend not to like these but if you can up the number of players in Power Grid I think you'll find it a very different gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as an update, my wife and I have been playing Power Grid a lot since we got it and not every game ended in the most money as the winner. Our last game, I ended it with 21 cities to her 20, but I could supply 19 to her 18 so I won.

I have to change my opinion of this game. I LOVE it! I'm all giddy inside just thinking how great this will be with more than 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(Big Bad Lex)
It's very rare (and I'm being kind because I've never found a case) to find a game designed to be played by 4+ that scales effectively down to a 2 player game also. If you mainly play with only one opponent then I recommend sticking with one on one games; Hammer of the Scots, Stratego, Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage(HA HA). I guess its no coincidence that these tend to be Wargames and wives sometimes tend not to like these but if you can up the number of players in Power Grid I think you'll find it a very different gaming experience.

This isn't true, Puerto Rico, Caylus and Tigris all top tier non-wargames meant to be played with more than 2 players but all three play very well with 2 players, never as good than when you have more which is normal. However, Powergrid falls more flat with 2 than these other 3 do as quite a few people are finding out, not everybody agrees but the majority do. I also think the game is slightly overrated but enjoy it with 3 - 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.