Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to emphasize Israel's importance for the USA, I suggest the following:

Add an additional US influence point to Israel at game start (for a total of two).

Add following modifiers to Arab-Israeli Wars (suggested by Joel Tamburo on CSW):

If US has 4 influence in Israel: -1
Each connecting nation US controlled: -1
Both Syria and Egypt are Soviet controlled: +1

To compensate the USSR for the extra influence point the US gets in Israel, I'd suggest placing one extra one in say Czechoslovakia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Of course, Suez Crisis now becomes playable immediately without having to wait around... and Arab-Israeli war has better effects.

Extra Soviet influence in Czechslovakia also has a side effect: Independent Reds becomes more useful. Previously USSR could sideline Independent Reds by placing its 6 Influence in Poland and Finland. However,the tactic was always a bit 'gamey'...

I think you mean US has control of Israel, -1. 4 Influence alone is only control if no Soviets have intervened...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Interesting. Of course, Suez Crisis now becomes playable immediately without having to wait around...

Why? With the standard rules that is equally possible. Here the US really ought to hurry up placing that one extra point in Israel in order to avoid being kicked out of the region.

Quote:
and Arab-Israeli war has better effects.

Not necessarily. It's just that both sides have a little more influence, which emphasizes Egypt's and Syria's roles - as well as US support for Israel. Makes matters more strategically interesting.

Quote:
Extra Soviet influence in Czechslovakia also has a side effect: Independent Reds becomes more useful. Previously USSR could sideline Independent Reds by placing its 6 Influence in Poland and Finland. However,the tactic was always a bit 'gamey'...

I first thought of simply saying the USSR can place 7 influence in Eastern Europe, but then that might lead to gamey investment to gain control of either Finland or IMO better Austria - precisely to prevent the Independent Reds penalty...

BTW, Hungary might also be an alternative space for placing that extra influence.

Quote:
I think you mean US has control of Israel, -1. 4 Influence alone is only control if no Soviets have intervened...

No. 4 influence. That's to prevent gamey play of the Soviets "infiltrating" Israel before playing the card. I think Joel took here a very sensible approach.

Anyway, I think I'll always suggest this variant whenever starting a new game. Jason also remarked that one regret of his regarding the game is that US play in the Mid-East isn't as Israel-centred as he would have liked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If USSR plays Suez Crisis with the official starting position, he can only remove 3 total influence (assuming USA didn't place any influence in France).

Arab-Israeli war is more effective the more US influence there is in Israel (although this is reduced when it hits 4 in your schema). If it suceeds, USA influence in Israel is replaced by an equal amount of USSR influence. The combination of this factor and Suez Crisis currently inclines USA players to place influence in the countries bordering Israel instead of in Israel itself.

USSR can take control of Poland and Finland with the 6 influence he starts with. A seventh influence wouldn't be that damaging, I would probably use it to reinforce Poland....

As I said on another variant thread, I will play the game 'pure' for now, and maybe use the variants if it is getting stale (I think this unlikely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
The combination of this factor and Suez Crisis currently inclines USA players to place influence in the countries bordering Israel instead of in Israel itself.

That's precisely what this variant seeks to adress.

Quote:
As I said on another variant thread, I will play the game 'pure' for now, and maybe use the variants if it is getting stale (I think this unlikely).

Whatever works for you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also kind of bothered by the way Arab-Israeli War gives the USA a strong incentive NOT to put influence in Israel. But I suspect that the designers want the Middle East to be a difficult area for the United States and this is why the US position in Israel is so tenuous. So I am not ready to start playing with a variant yet.

If I do ultimately decide to try a variant I think I would leave the war die roll modifiers and starting inlfuence alone, and instead tweak the effects of a war victory. Something like:

Reduce US Influence in Israel by 2. Add 2 USSR Influence.

This leaves open the possibility that the USA will get kicked out of Israel if he doesn't act to shore up his position early in the game. But now it at least makes some sense to place influence in Israel itself instead of focusing on Israel's neighbors first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.