Popular Tags: [View All]
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there designer notes anywhere which explain why each of the clean power plants are clean// what they represent? My group was describing many in terms of burning things(wood(forest), trash(recycling), corn(biofuel)), and that doesn't seem very clean--- but I know nothing of the subject matter. (though Solar and Nuclear seem self explanatory from a CO2 perspective)

edit->

Just to confirm, in the rulebooks all the technologies are referred to as power plants, and not merely CO2 reducing industries:

5 Forestation power plant tiles
5 Biomass power plant tiles
5 Solar power plant tiles
5 Recycling power plant tiles
5 Cold fusion power plant tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tree symbol is reforestation. Not burning wood but planting trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
Are there designer notes anywhere which explain why each of the clean power plants are clean// what they represent? My group was describing many in terms of burning things(wood(forest), trash(recycling), corn(biofuel)), and that doesn't seem very clean--- but I know nothing of the subject matter. (though Solar and Nuclear seem self explanatory from a CO2 perspective)

Are they power plants or ways to reduce CO2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some are the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
McJarvis wrote:

In the rulebook they are all identified as plants. (and all are identified as green power plants--- and all can replace old dirty power sources)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
Funguy wrote:
McJarvis wrote:

In the rulebook they are all identified as plants. (and all are identified as green power plants--- and all can replace old dirty power sources)

Right, but thematically, I think of them as you are planting forests or installing a recycling program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Right, but thematically, I think of them as you are planting forests or installing a recycling program.

Why would a recycling program help CO2 levels? Why would it satisfy a regions power needs for the decade? It makes no sense with what actually happens in the game.

So, I'd like the designer to offer some notes on why he chose the power plants he did and what they represent in the "real world".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack - I didn't know you owned CO₂. Do you like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet. That may change tomorrow night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi mike,
i just answer you in a GM, but to other people to know my thoughts.

I wrote in the rulebook that the game treat all the elements in the same way, as power plants, just to make the rules easy to play and understand. But the game is not only about power plants and production of energy. It provide some of the most important paths we must work to create a sustainable world free of pollution.

Solar, Nuclear, Recycling, forestation and biomass are some. There are plenty more fields we can develop, but this ones are the most important to me because they represent fields, areas of expertise, not the thing.

Solar is there to represent all green production energy forms, like wind, geothermic, hydraulic ... . The cold fusion represents the development of future technologies and nuclear of course. Forestation, recycling are pretty obvious. Bio mass, the agriculture, and one form of having a sustainable energy source.

Note that forestation provide you with CEPs, yes, you are taking pollution from atmosphere. Recycling provide you with money. Right? Solar and Nuclear gives you technology.
There are a lot of discussions about if recycling is a power plant and burning wood is also a green form of energy. They just play like power plants but they represent fields of expertise (remember the expertise tracks in the game?) needed to have a green sustainable world. I designed tho game with an open mind, I wish you play it in the same way.

Scientific discussions about this are silly and just show that people did not understood the game concept. Remember this is a game and my vision. Nothing more, not an agenda as many say or a scientific treaty like Eckulnd games. Sure forestation is not a power plant. Yeah, the game is not about power plants but about building a green sustainable world and get rich when doing it because the world have the tools to do it.

I wish you just enjoy playing it and have healthy discussions about the theme before, during and afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers Vital. I'm hoping to get this to the table tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We must remember the environmental step. Every the power plant installation keep an envoirment step because nothing is 100% clean. And this is one of the game's rule.

I'm from Brazil and here we have a great hidraulic potential, but this power plant demands the inundation of neighbours areas of forests, and villages. Along the years we're learning to build smallers power plant but in big quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.