Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following suggestion has been made by Volko F. Ruhnke on CSW:

"BRUSH WAR may not target a US-controlled country in Europe if NATO is in play."

Comment: This tweak really appeals to me since it makes the decision how to play NATO more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, common sense in flavour terms. At the moment we always play NATO for Ops, becasuse Defcon is so rarely 5. This would make playing it more attractive.

I have seen Brush War used against Turkey as well, any of the southern four are vulnerable. Italy can be backed up by Spain and Greece and of course West Germnany (France may be difficult if you are waiting for De Gaulle/Suez Crisis). Turkey has Greece and Syria, maybe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Interesting, common sense in flavour terms. At the moment we always play NATO for Ops, becasuse Defcon is so rarely 5. This would make playing it more attractive.

I have seen Brush War used against Turkey as well, any of the southern four are vulnerable. Italy can be backed up by Spain and Greece and of course West Germnany (France may be difficult if you are waiting for De Gaulle/Suez Crisis). Turkey has Greece and Syria, maybe...

West Germany? Doesn't happen to be adjacent...

Anyway, what this variant does, is that it makes it a tough decision for both sides whether to see the NATO event occur or not. As the USSR I'd be perhaps even willing to sink it into the space race in order to allow for a brush war in Italy.

The Med strategy revolving round Italy remains valid, which I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erm, yes, now you mention it West Germany isn't adjacent to Italy. Doh!

As USSR I would take the 4 Ops any day, even with Brush War ruled out. 50% chance of my drawing Brush War, 50% chance of it working (assuming USA has control of one adjacent country)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
As USSR I would take the 4 Ops any day, even with Brush War ruled out. 50% chance of my drawing Brush War, 50% chance of it working (assuming USA has control of one adjacent country)...

Probably. But it's not as clearcut as otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand this rule has now been adopted officially in the 2nd edition rules.

(Too bad Jason & Ananda haven't adopted my space race variant and the Middle-East tweaks I'm fond of).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.