Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and thanks in advance for the help.

I am playing the first scenario solo for ASLSK1 and am slightly confused. I am reading the ASLSK2 rules. Please identify errors in my rules interpetation.

1. The germans move 2 units and one leader into hex K2. The US leader + unit in N3 and a unit in L5 both took a shot. One added +1 to the roll (+3 stone, -1 FFNAM, -1 leader) the other +2 (no leader). Rolling on the IFT at FP 6 both missed. Both were marked with first fire counters. Since no other german unit are in LOS the US cannot take anymore shots. I believe I did this part right, subsequent first fire and final protective fire would not come into play this time. Right?

2. During the AFPh the germans in K2 shoot at the leader and unit in N3. The two units have their FP halfed and have a FP of 4 and rolls with no modifiers. The germans score a MC1 hit. The leader fails his MC1 (8-1 leader needs a 7 or less and rolls a nine)and breaks a DM counter is placed on him. The squad then does a MC1 (needs a 6 or less)and fails and a DM counter is placed on him. Now the unit must do a PTC check because the leader broke adding 4 to the dice roll because of the DM counter. Is it the units DM counter that adds 4 or the leaders DM counter? I believe it is the leaders 4 so if the unit would have passed its MC he would have added 4 to the PTC. The unit needs a 3 or less for the PTC and fails and is now pinned.

3. Now I become confused (hopefully I am playing right up to here ). During the route phase the leader can route to M4. Since the unit in N3 is pinned in the open and interdiction (confusing concept) can occur the unit takes a casualty reduction and is replaced with a HS and he stays in the hex.

Well those are my interpetation and questions of the rules.

Thanks

Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
One correction below:

The only thing you've done wrong is that once a unit has broken, you don't bother with pin task checks (only further morale checks, which can lead to casualty reduction): so, the unit was broken *not* pinned and must rout with the leader in the rout phase. Once broken, you would roll any *rally* attempts with the +4 until the DM+4 counter comes off...oh, and it is the unit's *own* dm+4 counter that causes a +4...

One suggestion: you say you moved two units and a leader together. Usually in ASL it makes more sense to move an individual mmc (squad/half squad) (perhaps with a leader) -- if you move the two mmc's together, then they both get fired at with full strength first fire and both can get taken out. If you move first one then the other, the second one will get fired at with subsequent fire, if at all, and either not get fired at (if the defenders have used up their fire opportunities) or get fired at with half fp, as the defenders are using subsequent fire. Or, perhaps, the defenders don't fire at the first unit at all, saving their fire for the next moving unit....

hope this helps,
Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Oh, and the subsequent/final question: the defenders could use subsequent first fire *if* the move into the hex cost more than one movement point -- you can defensive fire with each expenditure of a movement point, so if the units had moved into a building (costs 2), they could defensive first fire on the 1st movement and subsequent first fire on the 2nd movement point (presuming there is no other enemy unit in sight and closer to them than the moving unit).

Final protective fire is for units that have first and subsequent fired already and is only used for firing at a unit moving adjacent.

Final fire occurs in the DFPh (and is only available to unfired units (who can fire at anyone in sight) or first fired units (firing at an adjacent hex only)).

It's been a while since I've played, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering it correctly!

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TundraToad wrote:

2. During the AFPh the germans in K2 shoot at the leader and unit in N3. The two units have their FP halfed and have a FP of 4 and rolls with no modifiers. The germans score a MC1 hit. The leader fails his MC1 (8-1 leader needs a 7 or less and rolls a nine)and breaks a DM counter is placed on him. The squad then does a MC1 (needs a 6 or less)and fails and a DM counter is placed on him. Now the unit must do a PTC check because the leader broke adding 4 to the dice roll because of the DM counter. Is it the units DM counter that adds 4 or the leaders DM counter? I believe it is the leaders 4 so if the unit would have passed its MC he would have added 4 to the PTC. The unit needs a 3 or less for the PTC and fails and is now pinned.

3. Now I become confused (hopefully I am playing right up to here ). During the route phase the leader can route to M4. Since the unit in N3 is pinned in the open and interdiction (confusing concept) can occur the unit takes a casualty reduction and is replaced with a HS and he stays in the hex.

Todd

In your Q.2: The US leader would cause the US squad to roll for a PTC only if the squad had passed its own MC. Only a unit which is unpinned and Good Order is subject to being Pinned (in normal circumstances)...

In your Q.3: As mentioned above by someone else, the broken leader and squad should have routed away - preferably into some helpful Rally Terrain (the nearest building or woods).

If a unit is subject to Interdiction (because it routs into an Open Ground hex in LOS of an armed enemy etc), it may possibly be stopped there (aka pinned) if it rolls exactly the number required for the Interdiction MC. That result is more 'Rout Interrupted' than actual Pinning with a marker on top (and it is usually better than being Casualty Reduced for failing the Interdiction MC).

PaulH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.