Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I had the pleasure to try Carcassonne for the firt time yesterday. We played 5 games and it was really fun.

We used a couple variants/houserules to make it even more fun:

>Each players had 3 tiles in their possession all the time and chose one of them to play each turn. It removed some randomness and added lots of strategy.
>No holes allowed in map, meaning that we couldn't close a gap in the map.
>No points for incomplete constructions. Made things a lot nicer in terms of construction and rewarded only those who didn't place tiles all over the table with meeples for nothing.

Now, a couple questions came up during the games for which we couldn't find any answers, we used our best judgement for the time being.
I'd like to ask them here and see if anyone could help me with those:

1. Can you complete a Cloister with other cloisters? The rules say that in order to complete a cloister, it must be surrounded by fields (farms)...
Does fields on Cloister tiles count as well:

2. In the following example, is the red move legal? We were wondering if the 3 city pieces were connected as 1 zone in this case (red just played the red outlined tile and placed a meeple)?

Thanks a lot for the help guys! Awesome game.
We were playing with the River extansion... and I have the Dragon & Princess ext ordered now as well as traders & builders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just for a bit more clarity:

1) Yes
"Surrounded by fields" just means surrounded by tiles, which obviously must all have field on the adjacent edge to match the cloister. So another cloister tile is legal. In general, Carcassonne is meant to be straightforward with few or no rules exceptions, so if a tile matches according to the basic placement rules you can assume it is OK.

1) Yes
That is OK because they are still two separate cities. Features are always joined by an edge and never by a corner.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2 Queestions after first games... Re: Cities and Cloiste
Note that in your second example, it may be unwise to play that tile (and meeple). Blue currently has 4 potential points, red has 6. Unless red is going to compete further, or if blue is way behind (3+ players), then perhaps red should play that tile the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2 Questions after first games... Re: Cities and Cloiste
Thanks to all for the replies!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
i.a.m wrote:
Thanks to all for the replies!!!

A great souce of answers to common Carcassonne questions is Matt Harper's FAQ:
http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/

Also have a look at my (under construction) complete all-expansions rules summary:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/786023

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i.a.m wrote:
Hi!

2. In the following example, is the red move legal? We were wondering if the 3 city pieces were connected as 1 zone in this case (red just played the red outlined tile and placed a meeple)?

I have recently played Carcassone for the second time and had a question for anyone out there. I had a knight in a castle that contained the bottom left tile in the diagram above (the 2 castle segments tile). My castle contained about 8 segments and used the double castle tile to form it. Do these two castle segments on one tile count count as 1 point or 2 points when scoring a castle that has this one tile with two castle segments in it?

It would be a big help as my friend (also a novice) would only give me 1 point which ended up with us being in a tie on our thrid tie breaking game. I am too competitive for a tie! Any help would be greatly apprecieted.

Much thanks, this is my new favorite game!

Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The double-city tile, as you call it, scores 2 points when the city is completed, or only 1 point if the city is unfinished at the end of the game. There are also tiles from the expansions which have three or even four segements, and they all score once. The proof is on page 3 of the rules-book, where it says that you should "count the number of tiles" - the number of segments on a tile doesn't matter for scoring. And the third illustration on page 3 illustrates this, where blue and red score 10 points for a 5-tile, 6-segment city. This is further explained in the following FAQ: http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/2005/07/in-my-opinion-on-....

Cool that you like Carcassonne!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
mjharper wrote:
There are also tiles from the expansions which have three or even four segments, and they all score once. The proof is on page 3 of the rules-book, where it says that you should "count the number of tiles" - the number of segments on a tile doesn't matter for scoring.

This is can be a source of confusion if you've come to Carcassonne from Hunters & Gatherers, which (alone among Carcassonne games) scores by segment* rather than tile.

* http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97690

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew and Roy,

thank you both for your input. Guess the game did end up in a draw...more reason now to play again. I am new to Carcassone and still have yet to play H&G, but hope to some time soon. I am now researching what expansions I should get. What expansion would recommend starting with? I have the river expansion included in my copy of Carcassone. Thank you both for your help. ~Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd probably recommend buying the expansions in the order they came out. So Inns and Cathedrals first. It adds the fewest new game mechanics, but rather seems to round off the basic game nicely. Then Traders and Builders, as it introduces the best "new" mechanics that have been added - the builder, the pig, and trade goods (which make it worth closing other people's cities). Princess and Dragon is unquestionably the most complex of the expansions, adding in a lot more random elements such as the dragon itself. The Tower is more tactical, and is basically designed to deal with the eternal problem mega-fields.

All of the mini-expansions are nice, but the most interesting in terms of game-play is probably The Count of Carcassonne, although I happen to think that The River II is essential if you're using Princess and Dragon, since the dragon is then in play from the very start, and so more evenly spread throughout the game.

Of course, that's just what I think…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
mjharper wrote:
I think I'd probably recommend buying the expansions in the order they came out.

I'd agree. My favorite though is Princess and Dragon.

If you have any questions about the rules, Matt's FAQ* is about as comprehensive as it gets, and my rules summary# covers all expansions in play order in one über sequence of play (just ignore any references to things you aren't using).

* http://carcassonnefaq.blogspot.com/

# http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=16654

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! You both have been incredibly helpful. Sounds like you both have logged in many hours of Carcassone...I hope to do the same eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.