Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is no such thing as a tie, but our second game, where I played Vulca and my wife played Hoax, just ended with all dragons in the center. It was a VERY back and forth game, with zero 6-card battles. Unfortunately for my wife it ended with her being the one to start the fight and her only cards left were a leadership and her mutant. It just so happened that my mutant was the only character in my hand too, and my draw deck was also exhausted. It seemed to me that if she does not start a fight and cannot draw more cards, that I would win. Is this correct? Figuring out how exactly the game ends sure seems to be the most confusing part of the rules to me. I will read the FAQ of course too, as I'm sure we played it wrong. Of course my wife did not like this "ruling", since it would seem she lost (again). I better let her win the next one or this game may be short-lived in our house Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that situation your wife should decline to start the fight and discard one card. You would then be forced to decline and discard a card. Since you would then be the first player to run out of cards, your wife would win as per the rule regarding an endgame when all dragons are in the center - the person who ran out of cards first loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely let her know she won that one, since she seems to be at the end of her rope already.

Edit: end of her rope, not hope. *duh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
In that situation your wife should decline to start the fight and discard one card. You would then be forced to decline and discard a card. Since you would then be the first player to run out of cards, your wife would win as per the rule regarding an endgame when all dragons are in the center - the person who ran out of cards first loses.

Interesting situation, and it depends on whether playing for game or crystals. For game, as you say the only play is to discard one and hope your opponent can't play. But for crystals discarding one may win one crystal, but may lose two, whereas discarding two loses one crystal. Depends on the odds - and that depends on whether you've been card counting (assuming preassembled decks - contructed decks makes that tricky) and know whether your opponent's card is playable or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should point out that I did have more cards than just my mutant, and I had more cards than she did. I guess for this reason, assuming we did the silly "discard one each until we're out of cards", I still won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. If the score is 0-0, the first person to run out of cards loses. I don't think it is silly though. Hand management gets very difficult toward the end and is a critical, if not the critical, part of many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I should point out that I did have more cards than just my mutant, and I had more cards than she did. I guess for this reason, assuming we did the silly "discard one each until we're out of cards", I still won?

In this case she should probably discard both cards to cut her losses as there are higher odds that you have a playable character. Unless she was card counting, of course, and knew what you had left

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the word "silly" was a poor choice of words to describe the rule. What I meant was that if my wife and I admit to each other that we have no more characters to play, then we can simply call the game by seeing who has more cards in their hand. You are correct that if the number of cards is the same, or even within 1, you made need to play it all out to see who wins. In this case, I had at least 4 cards to her 2, so it was obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
What I meant was that if my wife and I admit to each other that we have no more characters to play

But don't. If you're not starting a fight and have no character cards but your opponent is getting low, keep quiet about it, he (or she) might do the wrong thing.

Whilst I'm not aware of doing that particular wrong thing, I've certainly done other than the optimum in this sort of position and noted I'd have done something different had I seen my opponent's hand. (No, I don't track all my opponent's cards, I track a few I remember and seem worth tracking. The deck's mutant - assuming preassembled decks - for example.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely don't give away that you're out of characters. One particular game I won despite being out of character cards because my opponent thought I was better off than I was and blew the rest of his hand casting an Attract Dragon card trying to make the score closer. Use your best poker face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. Obviously there's a lot more to the end of the game in the case of a tie than I thought. Thanks to everyone for your patience and assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.