Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that when a player has two matching oval influence tiles at the end of a visit, he takes the corresponding special card from the table or from the player who has the card. What happens if the player who has the card is himself? That is, if I already have the special elephant card and acquire a second purple oval influence tile, must I spend the two purple tiles for nothing, or might I keep them in reserve to take back the card from a player who might steal it from me in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
Nope. You've got to turn in your tiles and "take" the card from yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
By forcing you to turn in your two ovals, even if you already have the card, the rules eliminate the ambiguity that could otherwise occur if two players try to turn in their ovals for the card at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb

To recap the other answers already given:

Every time that you obtain two matching ovals, you must trade them in.

If you already had the matching card, you get no additional benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I assumed that, but wanted to make sure. It sucks, but I suppose if you already have the card and you're still collecting that color of oval tiles, you're preventing other players from stealing it from you, which is a large enough advantage.

Thanks for the prompt replies, all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Lundgren
Sweden
Göteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
This rule is important and opens up som obvious tactical elements. When you own the card, then you can take one oval marker, but you are not really interested in a second one. The other players can use this to both as trying to guess what type of cards you are going to play, but also when they decide on what card to leave to you in the draft element.

--
Magnus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
This came up in our game on Saturday and we didn't really know how to handle it, even after reading the rules that came in our recent Rio Grande edition.

I agree with the interpretation here, but the rules say: "players who have two identical oval influence tiles trade those tiles for the corresponding special card." It doesn't say "players MUST trade..." or "players MAY trade...", either of which would have cleared it up.

Interesting game, but it gets my vote for worst rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, in our first play on Friday, we didn't catch the mandatory clause.

We had a question about what order players would take markers. I suppose though if it's mandatory, it wouldn't really matter what order people took them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.