Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I finally got to play this classic game again as I introduced it to my friends. All except me were playing their first game of Dune.

The six players chose randomly as follows:

Bradford - House Harkonnen
Mat - Spacing Guild
Rob - The Emperor
Rich - Bene Gesserit Sisterhood
Ben - Fremen
Me - House Atreides

The game was played using the Basic rules with no optional rules. The one house rule used was that alliances could only be 2 players, and required control of 4 strongholds to win.

The early game saw us squabbling over spice, with the Harkonnens and Atreides (me) in the first fight. The first worm/nexus came up in the second turn, and we quickly formed alliances: Harkonnen/Guild, Emperor/Atreides, Fremen/Bene Gesserit.

In the next couple of turns, Rob (Emperor) and I (Atreides) began to seriously hurt the other players, although our own troop stocks were also depleted. I forced a Lasgun/Shield explosion in an otherwise unfavorable situation, and then got the Lasgun back through Rob's control of treachery cards through massive wealth!

We moved in turn four to control the board, but the Fremen, aided by the BG Voice, were able to stop the Emperor taking the fourth stronghold. I foolishly forgot that I had a Karama card and could have stopped use of the Voice.

At the end of the fourth turn, Rob (Emperor) held one stronghold, I held two (albeit with 5 and 1 troop), and Ben (Fremen) held two.

Then, in the fifth turn, the next worm came up. I looked at Ben, and we quickly formed a new alliance. So, Fremen+Atreides, Emperor+Sisterhood and Guild+Harkonnen were the new alliances. Ben and I needed only to hold our strongholds to win. Most of the troops of all players were in the tanks as well, in addition to many leaders.

Through the alliance with the Emperor, I had dominated the treachery cards so I held the Lasgun, Poison Weapon, Projectile Weapon and a Poison Defense.

The Bene Gesserit invaded my Arrakeen in force, but I moved out and engaged the lone troop of the Emperor in Carthag instead. Meanwhile, Ben kept his two strongholds, and the game was ours!

The game took about 2 hours or so for 5 turns with mostly inexperienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Merric, it sounds like you had the best of all possible games: relatively short, intense, and vicious. It also sounds that, though inexperienced, your friends had some pretty good ideas about what to do.

One thing I don't get, however: how in five turns were you able to recover the lasgun off the explosion? As far as I know, after a lasgun/shield explosion, ALL cards used are discarded. That would have to mean that you all cycled through the deck in five turns and you drew the lasegun again. Maybe I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
One thing I don't get, however: how in five turns were you able to recover the lasgun off the explosion? As far as I know, after a lasgun/shield explosion, ALL cards used are discarded. That would have to mean that you all cycled through the deck in five turns and you drew the lasegun again. Maybe I missed something.

Because the game was so bloody, we did indeed cycle through the deck - the lasgun was close to the top, and my prescience did the rest.

As a guess, there were about 10 battles in those 5 turns, so quite a bit of card discarding.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.