Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Isaak
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game of Arkham Horror ever, although we had spent more than two hours reading through the rules on a previous occasion. On this particular day, three intrepid investigators were tasked with saving Arkham from the influence of slumbering Shub-Niggurath: trust fund Jenny, Kate the chemist, and whip-cracking Monterey Jack.

Jenny came prepared for the threat ahead, with an evening gown and matching tommy gun plus the complimentary skill of marksmanship. Kate and Jack had less memorable ensembles but all three hit the streets running.... unfortunately we were all too easily distracted by the chance to shop and not quite wary enough of the doom track and terror track. Poor Arkham was at risk from the materialistic tendencies of our heroes as much as from the fiends pouring through the gates.

By the time about five gates had opened, sprinkled around the edges of Arkham, our trio got their act together. Kate caught a few breaks as the monsters always cleared a path for her and she quickly jumped dimensions and returned to close them with her handy Find Gate spell. Jack guarded the streets of Arkham, taking down the cultists, byakhee, witch, and even a warlock as the town's square-jawed protector. Meanwhile Jenny bobbed and weaved to gather the clue tokens popping up everywhere. When Kate was appointed deputy we thought we had this particular Black Goat in the bag, but...

It turns out that heroic Jack couldn't handle the mind-destroying dhole and star spawn that came to face him. Soon he was a regular at the asylum, while his fellow investigators travelled the other dimensions with ease. Jenny's dad and Kate's police gig brought the cash rolling in Jack was left begging on whatever street corner the dhole hadn't claimed. Lack of coordination among our heroes and the alignment of the stars meant that the doom track kept rising until Shub-Niggurath was nigh. By a stroke of luck, Jack got the Dreamlands, lost in time and space and back to Arkham just in time to avoid an immediate devouring. And in the final turn of the game our prodigal hero received a Blessing!

Our endgame scenario left a heavily-magicked Kate with few monster trophies to use against Shub-Niggurath. Jenny and Jack had each been to the taxidermist more than a few times, but had only a single enchanted knife between them. Were they all about to become dinner?

Kate expected to be the appetizer so she immediately passed the handy Lamp of Alhazred to Jack. The first few rounds of battle went well but soon the punishing sneak penalty was costing the trio their monster heads. Kate disappeared into the maw of the beast, and even with his blessing Jack started running low too, so the Lamp was passed to Jenny. In the end, Shub-Niggurath consumed Jack too before Jenny could strike a killing blow. When she had, she took a brief moment to mourn her companions, and then returned to her shopping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Almost makes me want to play the gamemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Wow, reading this makes me feel bad that I usually don't read session reports.
Quote:
she took a brief moment to mourn her companions, and then returned to her shopping.

Haha, I really liked that last line. Plus, I think I'm gonna have to start using the name "trust fund jenny".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
My group just calls her "Paris".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.