za nouge
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I thought I had a pretty good handle on the rout rules, but reading through the ASLSK #2 rules the other night I came across some strange inconsistencies...

1) First up, in the rout rules it clearly says:
Quote:
3.6, 2nd para:
A routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF) building or wood hex within 6 MF....Upon reaching the nearest legal woods or building hex not adjacent to an enemy unit, a routing unit must stop and end its RtPh in that building or woods hex unless the unit can immediately enter another building or woods hex.

Okay, no problem. But for some reason the 'Rout Phase Example' on page 13 says the unit at M9 can "ignore the woods in N9," - (in the adjacent hex) - "and rout instead to ... L10."

L10 is two hexes away, with only clear hexes between it and the routing unit. There's nothing "nearest" about it. Is there something about the phrase "immediately enter" that I'm missing? Can anyone tell me why this example appears to flout the ASLSK rout rules?

2) This second point is just a little strange - maybe it's another little piece of the full ASL rules that crept in to the 2nd edition of the ASLSK rules... Basically, in the Rout Phase Summary on page 13, the 5th bullet point says:

Quote:
The routing unit may ignore any building hex that is part of a building they are already in.

Excuse me? Is this a summary, or more rules? I didn't see anything about 'buildings' vs. 'building hexes' anywhere else in the ASLSK rules...

In this new light, suddenly the victory conditions of some ASLSK scenarios seem a little different. For example, S1 and S2 both refer to controlling 'buildings' in the victory conditions, while S3 refers to 'building hexes', and the special scenario rules involve designating '2 buildings' as fortified.

So... does 'buildings' mean 'all the hexes containing a single continuous building'? Or is 'building' and 'building hex' used interchangebly? What gives? How is this distinction handled in full ASL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nouge

I don't have the ASLSK1 or 2 rulebooks here, but somewhere in them you should be able to discover:

Rout
A routing unit can ignore the nearest building or woods hex, if that hex is no further from the nearest known enemy than the hex from which the broken unit starts the Rout Phase. If it does ignore the nearest hex, it would rout to the next nearest that is further from that enemy unit. A similar logic applies to being able to ignore another hex in a multi-hex building that your broken unit starts the RtPh in.

Hex Control
Control of a hex (including a building hex) occurs when you have sole occupancy of that hex with a Good Order squad or half-squad (i.e. as soon as that MMC enters an empty hex, or still occupies a hex after eliminating the former occupants in CC). Control of each hex of a multi-hex building has to be gained separately, if 'hex control' is required.

Building Control
Control of a whole building occurs when your Good Order Armed MMC enters/occupies any part of that building, and the enemy has no units at all in that building (i.e. a broken, wounded enemy leader or conscript half-squad could maintain their control of that building - until you drive them out, if you have time to do so).

Building control is harder to earn because of sole occupancy, but it makes it somewhat easier to retain. Victory conditions will specify which one is required.

PaulH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mollusc wrote:
Nouge

I don't have the ASLSK1 or 2 rulebooks here, but somewhere in them you should be able to discover:

Rout
A routing unit can ignore the nearest building or woods hex, if that hex is no further from the nearest known enemy than the hex from which the broken unit starts the Rout Phase. If it does ignore the nearest hex, it would rout to the next nearest that is further from that enemy unit. A similar logic applies to being able to ignore another hex in a multi-hex building that your broken unit starts the RtPh in.

PaulH

Yes, you're right, From the ASLSK 2 rulebook: 3.6 "...a routing unit may ignore any building or woods hex if that hex is no further away from a Known Enemy Unit than its present hex."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
The routing unit may ignore any building hex that is part of a building they are already in.

The previous answers, while correct, did not actually address this quote...

Assume that a building occupies two hexes, and a squad in that building breaks, gets a DM marker, and wishes to rout away.

The rout rules say the squad must rout to the nearest woods or building hex... which would usually be the other hex of the building the squad currently occupies. The problem with this is, when soldiers panic under enemy fire, running into the next room and slamming the door shut is NOT going to make them much safer. In real life, such soldiers are much more likely to abandon the building entirely.

The quoted rule above gives them this ability. They MAY choose to ignore any hex of the building they occupy when choosing the closest woods or building hex, so the routing unit always has the option to rout completely away from their current building (no matter how large it is). But they are not required to do this; they may select another hex of the building they occupy and rout to it if they wish.

This is one of the few times that the rout rules actually give you some control over what your routing units do!

Rani Kellock wrote:
Excuse me? Is this a summary, or more rules? I didn't see anything about 'buildings' vs. 'building hexes' anywhere else in the ASLSK rules...

It is a rule, but not a major one. In the full ASL rules, this is just an exception to a very long rout rule (A10.51), so it is not really surprising that the Starter Kit rules would only mention it in a summary.

This rule is for routing only... it has nothing to do with victory conditions or controlling buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
za nouge
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the replies; I guess I missed that pertinant line in the rout rules - everytime I think I've got them all down, there's always something else...

Those building rules from ASL sound good, although there not really spelled out like that in the ASLSK rules. I wonder if that's how the scenarios were intended to be played? (Since it's not really specified, other than the occasional mention of 'building' or 'building hex', and in the scenarios the distinction between the two doesn't appear to be especially rigorous.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Rani Kellock wrote:
So... does 'buildings' mean 'all the hexes containing a single continuous building'? Or is 'building' and 'building hex' used interchangebly? What gives? How is this distinction handled in full ASL?

"Building" and "building hex" mean two different things. Building zF8, for instance, is one "building" but consists of three "building hexes".

In scenario S2, the Germans have to gain control of building zF8 by having a good order MMC enter any hex of the building when there are no Russian units present in any of the building's three hexes (as per "Control" in 2.0 Definitions).

In scenario S3, the Americans must gain control of 25 building hexes, and they must do this one hex at a time. If an American MMC enters zBB4, it gains control of building zBB4 and hex zBB4... but it does not gain control of the other two hexes of the building: zBB5 and zCC5. It would have to enter each of them in turn to control all three.

Thus, control of a building does not automatically give you control of all of the building's hexes, so you have to pay close attention to exactly what the Victory Conditions are specifying.

You're correct that the Starter Kit rules aren't too precise in this area, but this is how it would work in regular ASL. ASL also includes a rule that allows a unit to enter a building and attempt to gain control of all of the building's hexes without actually entering each one ("Mopping Up"). But in the Starter Kits hex control is gained one hex at a time, even if they are building hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.