Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Massey
United States
Salem
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Bohn - Walter graciously did a translation of the High Bohn rules for me during the week and went one further as he created cards with English as well. After cutting the cards and a brief rules debrief, we were off. This latest expansion doesn't change the basic way Bohnanza is played, but does provide what I think is a good edition. Each bean type now has an associated building type in the motif of a Wild West town. Each building comes in four sizes. When a
player harvest a beanfield of the appropriate type, he can spend some of the gold to buy a building for that bean type. Buildings cost between 1 and 4 gold coins with the 1 gold building providing now extra ability and each subsequent building providing a stronger special ability. The buildings count in the final scoring so a player doesn't lose any money. Each player can purchase one of each type, but the number of buildings of each type is limited to one less than the number of players. In final scoring, each player also gets bonus points for completing different buildings.

In general, the buildings work and the special abilities add some interesting decisions to the game. The trading seemed to be more interesting as well since you wanted to trade to get the right beans to buy the next building you needed, but didn't want to get shut out of a building so you could be reluctant to give beans to your opponent allowing him to get that last building of a type. I think this expansion did much more than island expansion which
added little at the expense of making the game a bit fiddly.

High Bohn Scores - Andrew 30, Walter 24, Craig 36,Mark 23
Ratings - Andrew 7, Walter 7.5, Craig 7.5, Mark 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.