Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday evening, 4 people were supposed to gather to play PR, when we got a phonecall from someone who wondered if we were busy, and if we were up for a game. Yes, we were busy, but I figured we could have a 5th player for PR, and try the Dalmuti game with 5 afterwards.

It would be my first real-time 5 player Puerto Rico game. I felt quiet confident, for I know all the right moves, since I read the strategy articles, had beaten the excel-file several times (3 player, I must admit, and I know it's not a strong AI for 3, but anyway), and some of the other players were inexperienced. Yes, I'm the title-person.

Nothing goes as planned in a 5 person game. You have to wait for ages to choose a role, people always take away the roles you want to have, the production phase leaves you with almost no barrels, since the majority is on the ships, and if it's not on the ships, everyone can take barrels before you can.

I had to start 3rd in-line, so I got stuck with an indigo. I don't like indigo. But I had 3 of them by the end of the game. Too bad that my neighbour (the one sitting before me) had 4 of them. So he produced quite a lot of them, and combined with a warehouse, he could ship several times while no-one else could. He got the most shipping points by the end of the game (29). Ageeth did a combined strategy (building and shipping, and she won the game quite easily), she had a tobacco monopoly (almost no-one else had tobacco) and a warehouse and a harbor. I somehow stayed behind, since I almost built nothing (I did have 2 quarry, but they were not put to good use), I did ship OK (27), and I had a warf, but I think a warehouse combined with a harbor is stronger.

End:
Ageeth 47
Fransisca 41
Douglas 39
Ann 37
Pauline 36

I really lost it. While I'm the one yelling: the one before you has taken producer, you have to take captain now. It's in all the strategy guides. No, don't take the mair again... I know all the theories...

Where did I go wrong?
1. I had no production of expensive goods. The best I had was sugar. And I started with a small factory, so I had to build a big one later. I had no monopoly at all. And no money.
2. I had a warf, but there was not much for me to ship, so a harbor would have been better.
3. I was too busy with commenting on other players (I really need to learn to keep my big mouth shut!), and did not mind myself.
4. I had 2 quarry, but in the end, I had only 6 buildings (cheap ones), so the quarry did not pay-off at all. I kept me away from the goods I could really use.

Next time better.

Thanks for reading, comments are always welcome.
Ann

PS: I lost the Dalmuti thing too more or less...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.