Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dominion: Guilds» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stonemason: cards gained on overpay sequentially or simultaneously? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane Maslen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
When gaining two cards by overpaying for a Stonemason, are the cards gained sequentially or simultaneously?

I ask this question because the rules explicitly state that when a Stonemason is played the two cards are gained sequentially, but they omit any such statement about the cards gained when overpaying to buy a Stonemason. The wording on the card is essentially identical ("gain 2 cards") for the overpaying and the play. That would lead me to believe that the cards gained when overpaying are also gained sequentially (Dominion rules generally don't use the same form of words to mean two different things), but the absence of any comment in the rules to that effect leaves me with a nagging doubt.

I suppose the wording on the card might have been excessive if the formulation "Do this twice: gain a card..." had been used to avoid doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's simultaneous, and the standard Dominion rules on doing things simultaneously should apply: You do them in an order you choose. So you choose a card to gain, possibly resolving it's on gain effects, then choose another card to gain. As best I can tell, it should function identically either way, simultaneous or sequential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only possible difference I can think of so far is a Reaction to gaining a card that gets discarded. The intent is clear, that it would react to one gain. We also buy multiple cards in a turn, then gain them, so I would think this gain could be sequential. Again, it's hard to imagine a scenario where it makes a difference. If there is one, I expect it to show up any moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near PoznaƄ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
We also buy multiple cards in a turn, then gain them.

When you buy multiple cards, you buy them one by one, i.e. buy one and gain, buy another and gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
danemaslen wrote:
When gaining two cards by overpaying for a Stonemason, are the cards gained sequentially or simultaneously?

I ask this question because the rules explicitly state that when a Stonemason is played the two cards are gained sequentially, but they omit any such statement about the cards gained when overpaying to buy a Stonemason. The wording on the card is essentially identical ("gain 2 cards") for the overpaying and the play. That would lead me to believe that the cards gained when overpaying are also gained sequentially (Dominion rules generally don't use the same form of words to mean two different things), but the absence of any comment in the rules to that effect leaves me with a nagging doubt.

I suppose the wording on the card might have been excessive if the formulation "Do this twice: gain a card..." had been used to avoid doubt.

I assume that they are gained (by purchase) sequentially in the same manner, in that there might similarly be circumstances on buying or gaining just like the gaining after trashing except that with that you don't have any 'when buy' situations.
If that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They cannot be gained 'simultaneously' in any meaningful way. You gain one, resolve all effects from gaining it, then gain the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
LastFootnote wrote:
They cannot be gained 'simultaneously' in any meaningful way. You gain one, resolve all effects from gaining it, then gain the other.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Yeager
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
The only possible difference I can think of so far is a Reaction to gaining a card that gets discarded. The intent is clear, that it would react to one gain. We also buy multiple cards in a turn, then gain them, so I would think this gain could be sequential. Again, it's hard to imagine a scenario where it makes a difference. If there is one, I expect it to show up any moment.

One might overpay a Stonemason by 5 to gain an Inn and a Mandarin. Then you would either put your treasures on top, then shuffle in action cards, including Mandarin, or you would shuffle in action cards, not including Mandarin, then place treasures on top. There are corner cases where order matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.