Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea that has been kicking around the live ww chats is using Skype or other voice chat software somehow in a game.

Suggestions have been to try a full game in that environment, or to use voice chat for PMing (eg between wolves). If we used Skype, the latter would be the only option, as their conferencing cuts out at 5 people total (not 5 plus mod).

Is anyone interested in giving this a try? Any ideas on how we might use it? Or do you see it as just an adjunct to the live chatting that we've been doing in between games?

Other voice chat options could include Google Talk or even MSN Messenger, both of which seem to support voice and even video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said last night, I really like the idea of voice chat for roles with PM privilege (eg wolves), and have all other players having to post on the main communications page only.

Personal bias - I never feel comfortable on completely free PM games, whwre every player has the right to PM. When real time, that just seems to cut out all discussion on the public thread, and in the PBEM games here, I generally just feel cut out.

My only concern is... finding out what we all sound like could be a real mystique-killer. I mean... at the moment, you all sound in my mind like erudite English gentlefolk. I don't know how I'll cope with all these incomprehensible American accents. Let alone your Australian nasal whine, mel

Delightful though I'm sure it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
My only concern is... finding out what we all sound like could be a real mystique-killer. I mean... at the moment, you all sound in my mind like erudite English gentlefolk. I don't know how I'll cope with all these incomprehensible American accents. Let alone your Australian nasal whine, mel

Delightful though I'm sure it is...

I'm not sure whether the appropriate response to that is kiss or ! Possibly both, just to be sure.

You're a romantic, Javal. I confess, I am too, and I have my own ideas of what everyone looks like & sounds like, which could be entirely wrong. And note that I am DEFINITELY not suggesting videoconferencing!!! That could be embarrassing especially in the mornings. blush

My biggest issue is knowing who is who in a big conversation. I have listened to so many eps of the Dice Tower and I still can't tell the difference between Tom and Joe at all. And, depending on sound quality, I might have to ask people to speak s-l-o-w-l-y That's why I like your idea of reserving it for PMs rather than for whole games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still suggest the Yahoo IM.

It has conferencing with full voice into the conference, and direct 1-1 voice chat as well in alternate windows.

The Yahoo IM is by far the best one available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how many voices in a conference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredh wrote:
I still suggest the Yahoo IM.

It has conferencing with full voice into the conference, and direct 1-1 voice chat as well in alternate windows.

The Yahoo IM is by far the best one available

Do we need a Yahoo group to use that, Jared? Or is this a separate thing?

I'm game to try this one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
I confess, I am too, and I have my own ideas of what everyone looks like & sounds like, which could be entirely wrong.

you get your podcast up and we will at least know what you sound like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
melissa wrote:
I confess, I am too, and I have my own ideas of what everyone looks like & sounds like, which could be entirely wrong.

LOL. voice post, not podcast (not a really regular thing). And it's up... you just need to know where to find it before I post it - or wait till Saturday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
big tease

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
big tease
kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
jmilum wrote:
melissa wrote:

LOL. voice post, not podcast (not a really regular thing). And it's up... you just need to know where to find it before I post it - or wait till Saturday!

Oh gosh, you did a voice post? I gotta log onto there and hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
Oh gosh, you did a voice post? I gotta log onto there and hear it!

not to my lj, honey, it will be at gone gaming http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com - unless I crack under all this pressure and wuss out of posting it! blush

honestly. it's nothing special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
how many voices in a conference?

jw, we had this working a couple of days ago with me, jaredh and xand. It looks like it supports at least 9, possibly more.

90% of the conversation was giggling, "can you hear this?" and "wow! this is great!" laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My computer is crap.

First I got a "This computer does not support the required audio compression format."

Then, after checking Help, I installed the DSP Group TrueSpeech(TM) Audio CODEC from the Windows 98 2nd edition CD.

Still doesn't work.

I am doomed to the world of text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sux, Latria.

So you couldn't even hear us talking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
That sux, Latria.

So you couldn't even hear us talking?

I can't. In my imaginary wrold, all of you sound like latria.

I am one of those slow readers that actually hear the words in my head when I read something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.