Pit» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Pit of Doom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new batch of players gathered in the only trailer in the city limits of Marquette. Michelle and Andrea are staples, but Yvonne, Jenny, and Alison were first timers, as was the somewhat tardy Jason.

We finished the night off with Pit, the 1973 Parker Brothers Version with the bright orange bell, and the saddest looking "game family" on the front cover of the box that I have ever seen. The dad's shirt not only matches the bell, but he has black rimmed nerd glasses and hunches like Quasimodo. Two other people wear plaid.

We, on the other hand, were somewhat prettier, though probably less skilled as only Michelle had played before.

I had just picked the game up from Vinnie's and with the help of a el marko black marker we fashioned a bull card from the advertising card to complete the game.

Immediately we had lots of fun. The trading is pretty instinctual. At first, I tried to set the tone by acting like the Wallstreet guys in the movies, but I was quickly no longer pretending as I shouted out "Two, two" and made desparate lunges across the table before someone could steal my trade.

Michelle took an early lead.

We quickly figured out that single trades were dangerous and hit a round where it looked like no one could win because no one wanted to risk winding up with the bear in their hand.

Calls for "one, one" were quickly met with derisive, "screw your one," and other more offensive remarks.

Further rounds opened up a bit to single trades again as people realized they were usually necessary to win.

Michelle pulled further into the lead, and Jason--who was repeatedly dealt a Bull that never quite helped him enough--went deeper in the whole.

After about 6 rounds where the highest score was 100, we decided to make the target 300 points instead of 500.

Michelle cornered wheat and jumped ahead to 200 next round, but I started making my crawl to the top.

I started a strategy of going after Flax no matter what as I notice in previous rounds everyone was trading those. The low points gradually put me in the lead.

It was approaching midnight, and with some people having jobs to attend the next day, we decided to discard the bull and bear cards to keep anyone from sliding back and thereby prolonging the game.

I then switched strategy to collect wheat...which were now cheap as people were tired of no one trading them...and moved in for the kill.

Overall a fun game. A full table of players really made it fun, but 500 points is much too high for that many. Even 300 might be a tad high, as there isn't much skill involved and the novelty was wearing a little thin for some of the players by round 13 when our 300 point game wound up.

Recommended though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes this is a great game but too long if played to 500 with the bear and bull cards.A better way to play is to have a set number of hands to play.Usually letting each player deal once or twice is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy S

Wisconsin
msg tools
Im 15. And I played this game in my business class. with only the product stock cards. It was fun but no one in my class was serious about it and they cheated > LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally gave this game another play. We had some younger players with a 7 and 11 year old playing. We had six people so we played just six rounds...everyone was still having fun at the last round, so we could have went a little longer, but it was a nice to stop before people tired of it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.