Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus» Forums » Reviews

Subject: More thought provoking than most party games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is essentially a "what do you think so-and-so would do in such-and-such a situation" party game. The situation is posed, the reader marks what he/she would do, the other team casts 3 votes--which can be split--and then moves ahead the amount of votes that matched the readers answer.

Mars/Venus, however, is heavier than any of the others I've played before like Scruples or True Colors (which I love by the way). The questions are far more personal and sexually explicit, and not just in a fun naughty way.

As a disclaimer, I picked this game up for 50 cents in mint condition, and I had an odd group show up for game night.

It was me and 5 women, so I figured it was a good choice.

And it was. We had to adjuct the game a little making it about knowing each other than just a battle of the sexes (I had two girls on my team, but they still answered women's questions), but I don't think that changed anything drastically.

The questions really felt like they could have come from the mouth of Dr. Phil, and the couple I answered about how I dealt with arguments in a relationship and who I wanted to be with when I was low, did make me reflect a little.

Which, being a man, I didn't really care for.

I'm really not being all that flip, but the game was more interesting for me than fun. Though a few of the girls really loved it.

And it did illustrate some common differences. One gal whose team had voted that I would say the perfect woman would be a perfect catch (over "must be a catch somewhere" and "outta my league") actually clapped and cheered even though they had voted that I'd say "must be a catch."

I gave the game away at the end of the night (I could just imagine most of my buddies killing me if it got dragged out), but I do respect it this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.