3 Posts

Puerto Rico» Forums » Puerto Rico - The PC Game

Subject: AI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
What are some of your experiences with the AI for the computer controlled opponents?

I am winning maybe 80% of my games, possibly more. With the expansion, without it, drafting or random. It seems to make some good defensive moves here and there but for the most part the AI seems to lack an overall gameplan. As I put in a different thread, I see the AI build the large indigo and even sugar production buildings right off the bat, but then it sometimes does not choose more indigo and sugar when it has the chance, and there are only 2 aqueducts as well so it is a waste of cash.

Additionally one thing I noticed was that in the final round you can count on one of the AI to take the mayor - I had it in a game where I had just built a large building (the 4 pointers) but I did not have a colonist to activate it to get the bonus, and the very last player in the round takes mayor, even though he didn't have a large production building at all. I would have won anyway but plays like this just make absolutely no sense.

Meanwhile in my real life 3-way games my girlfriend has been killing me and my dad, and she makes at least 1 bad play per game. Partially it is because I always try something different and I have not stuck to the strategy that works best for me and I have not made many defensive moves but still she must have won 7 of the past 9 or 10 games even with some playing errors (perhaps they were not errors I suppose hehe).

My point being that when I jerk around and try something new or something just to be different, against the computer AI I win easily (in fact I am surprised the occasional game that I lose) but I am by no means the greatest player ever since I am currently winning less than my fair share at home, at least in the past week.

Anyway what have some of your experiences been with the AI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a similar experience, although I haven't played too many games to date. One quick question - what level AI are you playing - beginner, amateur or professional?

I do find the AI making some hard to understand choices, but the games are fun nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Always professional AI. Even right after installation I didn't want to try it with the lower level AI.

I'd almost rather lose every game than win every game too. Thats the best way to learn (kind of like chess - no one beats a chess program on the top level except the real to level professionals).

But the games are absolutely a lot of fun.

I have not yet played other real people online but in another post there is a link to a forum where people can meet up and play. Will check it out maybe this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.