28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » General

Subject: Why I still cant fully commit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diazaburo Bueno
msg tools
Every time I read about this game I get excited. Every time I look at the images of the miniatures I get excited. Luck base game using dice, I dont care, I love it! When I look at the graphics and the fonts on the cards/ships I wanna cry and run away.

Is it just me or does this really awesome game need a complete make over of graphics and font?

Is there any graphic designers that agree the stuff behind the font used for titles is super busy, distracting and also ugly? The round bumpy font picked at random, not thinking about theme?

I have not read if any of this is being worked on by the artist or is even planned to be changed. This is the only thing keeping me from backing. If anyone has any information please let me know.

Thanksarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen people comment on the font (which I don't care as much one way or the other, as long as they don't switch to some crappy Al Rashid style font, where I can't even read what it's saying), but I don't feel it's busy. All of the text is organized and there's no graphics behind the text to distract from the words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the reworked title graphic! I don't like the bubble font... But don't intend to look at it as much as I intend to play the game.

there are worse things in life that we manage to look away from.

back the game, you know you want to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think part of the goofy text and names is to give the game a lighter feel, hence the "lite" and the comic sans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Scanlan
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly. It's just you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like the look myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diazaburo wrote:
Every time I read about this game I get excited. Every time I look at the images of the miniatures I get excited. Luck base game using dice, I dont care, I love it! When I look at the graphics and the fonts on the cards/ships I wanna cry and run away.

Is it just me or does this really awesome game need a complete make over of graphics and font?

Is there any graphic designers that agree the stuff behind the font used for titles is super busy, distracting and also ugly? The round bumpy font picked at random, not thinking about theme?

I have not read if any of this is being worked on by the artist or is even planned to be changed. This is the only thing keeping me from backing. If anyone has any information please let me know.

Thanksarrrh

I agree with you. If I wasn't impressed by the gameplay and the model design, I probably wouldn't have backed, as I thought the cards/shipboards/tile typography is a little lackluster. I think one of the stretch goals could have been a hire a graphic redesign of the cards/game title, but it seems a lot of it is kinda locked, and would likely push delivery even further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the font and graphics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has flavor.

What I don't like is that you don't seem to be getting a good deal as a backer.

"Thank you for backing, get 1/20 more miniatures for 33% more." (50% more in the case of 4 copies?)

I think it looks interesting in the "old game at summer home"-kind of way. Though the current tiles isn't what the actual game will have so the plywood / woodenpuzzle appearance won't really be there in the final product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
It has flavor.

What I don't like is that you don't seem to be getting a good deal as a backer.

"Thank you for backing, get 1/20 more miniatures for 33% more." (50% more in the case of 4 copies?)

I think it looks interesting in the "old game at summer home"-kind of way. Though the current tiles isn't what the actual game will have so the plywood / woodenpuzzle appearance won't really be there in the final product.

(Bolding) Where did you hear that?

Also, you get the dev kit with the Sellsword kit. 3 empty tiles, a set of blank outfits, and 3 empty flight stands. Still not huge, but nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erikstanfill wrote:
Diazaburo wrote:

Thanksarrrh

I agree with you. If I wasn't impressed by the gameplay and the model design, I probably wouldn't have backed, as I thought the cards/shipboards/tile typography is a little lackluster. I think one of the stretch goals could have been a hire a graphic redesign of the cards/game title, but it seems a lot of it is kinda locked, and would likely push delivery even further.
Tiles and cards I think is ok. The fame point board, fame point token and ship cards isn't very beautiful though.

My issue with the cards however is whatever they will be very repetitive. The flavor text on them are pretty short and both the Envoy cards have the same actual effect / thing you need to do and if the rest of them are 6 more like these then there being plenty of cards doesn't really add much because you're still doing the same. Sure you get a purpose for going somewhere but it won't really feel different.

I don't know how the other cards are but I assume there's many cards of each kind/style there to and possibly with very similar objectives but just different locations.

My biggest issues is however the die rolls for conclusion and possibly that everything one do gives one fame point (or whatever. I need to check whatever solving all those cards do so to.)

The way teching and configuration of ships works is nice though and I like the color choices (and as such I guess I should be ok with the fame point track and what not because they are all following that CMYK style), I like the tile artwork, I think the player pieces is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Babanov
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wario83 wrote:
I rather like the look myself.

Same here. It's unpolished, but authentic cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravendas wrote:
(Bolding) Where did you hear that?

Also, you get the dev kit with the Sellsword kit. 3 empty tiles, a set of blank outfits, and 3 empty flight stands. Still not huge, but nice.
Oh, I possibly haven't heard it anythere. Or he's mentioning it on the Kickstarter. It is his prototypes, it's not printed boards at the factory.

Yeah, I know one get that now, one didn't earlier. I don't know whatever I have any use for any of that though. I wished he had put it within the retail copy of the game and just increased the price $2-5 if he needed to and if it affect game play too much just add it as a variant at the end of the rule book.

But that's me.

Guess he could then had sold blank tiles and flight stands through the web page and as add-ons for the Kickstarter.

I don't know how to read that.

But of course they will still be tetris shaped and be jagged hexagons if you thought that was what I meant. What I meant was the thickness and how they kinda look like wooden puzzle components in the videos to me (flat print, thick, perfect cut/edges.)

The print copy will be paper board with linen finish.

Actual wood with glued paper on top would had felt really unique (for being a "woodgame.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diazaburo Bueno
msg tools
erikstanfill wrote:

I think one of the stretch goals could have been a hire a graphic redesign of the cards/game title...

Totally agree!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bo Ejdesgaard
Denmark
Odense NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diazaburo wrote:
When I look at the graphics and the fonts on the cards/ships I wanna cry and run away.

Couldn't agree more. Really a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DrMercy wrote:
Diazaburo wrote:
When I look at the graphics and the fonts on the cards/ships I wanna cry and run away.

Couldn't agree more. Really a shame.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guys, if you dont like it, just do not back it.
its his idea for the graphics, his game, his product, his money.

it was told already so many times. backing this project is not only backing the game itself. its something beyond that. hawk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Don't buy the game.

Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gaslight wrote:
Don't buy the game.

Problem solved.

exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Choice of font? Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Root
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent some time looking around the forums here and the comments on the Kickstarter, and I can't seem to find it, but somewhere Cody (the designer) said that this isn't the final art. This was all his prototype stuff. He's working with his designer to finalize everything before the game goes to print. Don't know if that helps you decide, as you may not be able to see the final art before the end of the Kickstarter, but it does mean he's working on it.

ETA: Found it. Here's a quote from Cody in another thread on BGG (found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12444907#12444907)

"Hey guys!

Yes, I'm still working on the art. Some of it I'm really happy with, like the board tiles are pretty much done. But others are poor, like the exploration tokens.

We also don't have our box art yet, so that's a big one!

Cheers, -Cody"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic design, especially the ship cards, definitely take a game with top-quality components, and make it look dated. Hopefully the quote is accurate and these will be updated, but don't think it's serious enough to be a reason for me not to get the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for me most of the euro games art looks dated. it doesn`t stop people to buy those games

why would it be a problem with XIA, when we still got A YEAR to publish.

DDD art looks bad, Eclipse art is boring. Please do not compare FFG, FFP or similar companies with one man Cody and his boardgame...

If you are thinking about pledging - THIS IS THE TIME PEOPLE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In one of the updates Cody noted that he is going open source with all of the templates for the game so if you REALLY don't like it then make your own...or #firstworldproblems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also an art survey up on the last update on kickstarter
Quote:
Art

Many people have commented on every aspect of Xia's art. I'm aware that some parts are more pleasing than others. Again, my goal is to bring you the best starship adventure I can, if that means changing some of the art, then so be it!

I'm trying to figure out the best use of my time/money on art, so I've created a little poll that will try to help with that.

Art Survey

I'd be every so thankful if you'd take the time to fill it out! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.