Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Just wondering if Euphrat and Tigris works well with just two players. It is listed as 2+ in the description, but often, as you know, the two player game is not as engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I love it with 2.

cool, thanks. It's a toss up between this or "through the desert" to play with my wife. I should just give Knizia my credit card and cut out the middleman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a toss up between this or "through the desert" to play with my wife

How much of a "gamer" is your wife, as TtD is a lot more accessible to non-gamers or lighter gamers that E&T is.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes T&E better than TtD. I like them both. I also like my wife. So I think I'm in good shape. Thanks for letting me share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with a lot quite a lot in this thread. E&T works great with 2 and doesn't lose as much as with some other titles, it is not the most accessible game but it is a great strategy game well worth the effort, and I should also give Knizia my credit card, every time I play a new game of his I am getting more and more drawn in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, two-player group here.

Through the Desert bombed with us, whereas Tigris is one of our all-time favorites. I recommend Tigris for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E is good with two player when you don't use a quarter of the map (cover it with a sheet of paper). Otherwise there is too much space and too few competition (well, a two player solitaire is not what you want, isnt'it?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaarrrrgghhh. covering the board with paper sounds kind of kludgey. What to do, what to do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Balaam-Reed
United Kingdom
Reigate
Surrey
flag msg tools
My friend and I prefer it 2 player to any other number as there is a bit more room and time to develop strategies. We have never felt the need to reduce the size of the playing area either. I havent played TTD but T&E is fantastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've never had any problems with the board being too big for 2 players.

It all comes down to how aggressive you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recommend anybody playing non-combative in 2 player T&E. If you want to win that is. An aggressive player will destroy a turtling player everytime. Walter taught me that pacifism is not something you hide behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very hard time playing TTD due to being colorblind, but T & E is played often in my group. I think 2 player is less interesting because part of the game for us is setting up battles between other players that fragment kingdoms to one's advantage. There are so many really excellent 2 player games that we save T & E for 3 and 4 players.

Having said that, we just picked up the T & E card game recently, and though it's definitely much lighter than the board game, it captures the feel of it, and it's short, no more than 45 minutes. Regarding 2 players, the way it's set up, kingdoms clash very early, unlike the boardgame. Though it's gotten mixed reviews, my wife and I enjoy it, and the group thinks it's a very devious short version of the game with 3 and 4, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolff
United States
poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:
T&E is good with two player when you don't use a quarter of the map (cover it with a sheet of paper).

I'd recommend getting the game and trying it with the full board as well. We play 2-player with the full board a lot and people say the board is too big to "naturally" get into conflicts, but I'd say it usually works like this: after a while of you being on one side of the board and your opponent being on the other side of the board, it'll become quite apparent that one or the other of you is raking in the points because they're going uncontested, and soon you will MAKE conflicts just to stop them (sooner than later, hopefully).

Anyway, point is, it's a great 2-player game with the whole board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
I have a very hard time playing TTD due to being colorblind, but T & E is played often in my group. I think 2 player is less interesting because part of the game for us is setting up battles between other players that fragment kingdoms to one's advantage. There are so many really excellent 2 player games that we save T & E for 3 and 4 players.

Having said that, we just picked up the T & E card game recently, and though it's definitely much lighter than the board game, it captures the feel of it, and it's short, no more than 45 minutes. Regarding 2 players, the way it's set up, kingdoms clash very early, unlike the boardgame. Though it's gotten mixed reviews, my wife and I enjoy it, and the group thinks it's a very devious short version of the game with 3 and 4, too.

Someone uploaded a pencil and paper version of TTD that is monochrome that you may want to check out. search the geeklists for "paper" and there is one entitled "paper and pencil ..." or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Someone uploaded a pencil and paper version of TTD that is monochrome that you may want to check out. search the geeklists for "paper" and there is one entitled "paper and pencil ..." or something similar.

Thanks for the information. Maybe I can finally start playing this. I hate having a Knizia game that I can't enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:
T&E is good with two player when you don't use a quarter of the map (cover it with a sheet of paper). Otherwise there is too much space and too few competition (well, a two player solitaire is not what you want, isnt'it?).

I just finished a 2 player game here and there was a lot of competion. Final Score was 14 to 16. I lost, but it wouldn't have taken much for a win. I didn't have as many points in the other areas, but with what matters it was close

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E is just fine as a two-player game with no rule changes. It will have a different feel than the four-player game because you have a much better chance to carry through on a two- or three-turn idea before the actions of your opponent(s) render it moot.

My wife is rather less of a gamer than the rest of the family, but T&E is one of the ones she will play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:

I'm just trying to maximize the value of a possible purchase--being able to play T/E with my wife and in a group.

It would be an interesting design challenge to make a version of Through the Desert that was accessible to the colorblind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
Braunschweig / City of Lions
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, Reiner Knizia is the master of scalability. Most of his games, that you can play with more than two players, plays well with any kind of player constellation. In some cases, you even have a completely new feel in the game with different numbers of players. I think E&T is such an example. Plays very great with two and is a bit more strategic there. It plays different with three, and then even different with four. Every constellation is another experience. That's why I love E&T, plays well with any number. I even think, to learn the game, starting with two is the best way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.