Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iwan Tomlow
Belgium
Berchem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played about 10 WOTR games now, but this last one was so peculiar - for us, at least - I felt I had to try and capture it in a session report here. Not in the least because the game was finished in just under 60 minutes - it usually takes us about 3 hours including game setup.
(Oh yeah - I own a dutch version of the board and cards, so sorry if I use some mis-translated terms in this report).

The first 2 turns nothing really special happened: average 3-4 eye dice for the hunt, fellowship moved once each turn. The first move immediately killed off Gandalf with a 3-tile, the second move forced the fellowship to reveal, so they chose to go over the High Pass.
Meanwhile the Shadow had put Sauron at war, drew lots of muster cards near Moria, and crushed Lorien between Moria and Dol Guldur. Combined units of MM, Nurn and Gorgoroth were heading out to MT, those of Barad-Dur/Morannon had moved over Dagorlad to No-mans-lands. No minions had been played to keep Gandalf sitting and waiting.

So I figured, this is going bad (I was playing the FP).
The only productive thing I had been able to do so far, was to race Strider to MT to be crowned, and using 'The Grey Company' and 'Imrahil of Dol Amroth' to pump up the MT-army to 4 regulars, 3 elites and 2 leaders (+Aragorn).

But then came the card-draw for the 3th turn: "To the last battle" and "Athelas" (with "Anduril" as battle effect).
Uptil now, I had never considered "To The Last Battle" a very useful card: maybe being a bit prejudiced by the books sometimes, I had supposed you would be playing this to distract Sauron once the fellowship got into Mordor, but by that time one rarely has the opportunity to fulfill the requirements.

In this situation however, I decided to go all the way: Aragorn lead the army out of MT, picked up the Osgiliath units, and declared "To The Last Battle" in N-Ithilien (the MM-army was in S-Ithilien).
And the gamble payed off bigtime: the immediate attack of the 10 regular + 1 Nazgul from S-Ithilien was countered completely using "Athelas/Anduril" and the "Song of Bilbo" (two cards I would otherwise always use for healing corruption) and some good luck: I took only 2 losses, the shadow army was reduced to 3 regulars. Could have walked right into MM if only Gondor had been at war, but ran over the army in S-Ithilien instead.

Meanwhile, the Shadow had to loose precious time having to bring the Southrons to war and move their armies up and the Sauron-army back down to Dagorlad, and brought in the WK. Obviously, by that time Aragorn's army didn't stand a chance, but they fought bravely to the end to give the fellowship as lot of time as possible (I must admit Aragorn ran out at the last moment - not a very worthy action for a king, but hey, I wanted to keep the dice...).

The result: a devastating almost 3 complete turns with virtually unhindered fellowship moving: I separated most companions (except the Hobbits), and used all possible dice and elfen rings to move the fellowship, easily completing the remaining 10 steps into Mordor in those 3 turns. Only one successful hunt (2-tile) killed Merrin (revived with a muster dice), which meant I was able to declare in Mordor with only 1 corruption at the beginning of turn 6.

Needless to say after that the whole of Gondor was run over immediately, but with no special hunt tiles (except my 'Elfen Rope') in the bag the fellowship made it to Mount Doom pretty easily, and the ring was destroyed.
Might have had a little more trouble if the Shadow had remembered to use the Elfen Rings given to convert some more dice into hunt-eyes, but I don't think it would have mattered very much.

Can't say I expect to see this situation and card combinations come up again very soon, but this game definitely made me feel completely different about "To The Last Battle"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite excellent! That's what you do. Take the event cards you have and make something happen. Not seen that happen yet after many plays, that is, what you described. Ausgezeichnet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Rosendal
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilead wrote:
Could have walked right into MM if only Gondor had been at war, but ran over the army in S-Ithilien instead.

If I remember the rules correctly, you cannot attack (even in selfdefense ) if you are not at war.

But well played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qute wrote:
Gilead wrote:
Could have walked right into MM if only Gondor had been at war, but ran over the army in S-Ithilien instead.

If I remember the rules correctly, you cannot attack (even in selfdefense ) if you are not at war.

But well played!

That is correct. Good catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iwan Tomlow
Belgium
Berchem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you're right, that attack was an illegal move on my account.
Guess we figured it was allowed as long I was not crossing any borders.
Thanks for pointing that out!

I still like to think that wouldn't have mattered much: now the Southrons arrived with a 10-army, so if the 3 leftover regulars had still been there, those Southrons could not have joined them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.