Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim williamson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of weeks ago I was planning on playing in a local regional tournament. The night before the tournament my wife became sick, only getting worse the morning of the tournament. Long story short, we took her to the hospital (her fever spiked to 105.5 at one point) and I missed the tournament.

Well last night (6-18-13) a buddy of mine came over and I got the chance to run the squad I was going to take to regionals.

My squad:

Wedge with R2-D2 and Stealth
Biggs with R5-D8 (I think this is the one, the astromech that gives an extra agility die for an action) and stealth
and
Tycho with Push the Limit and Concussion Missles

Total 100 points

His squad:

2 Tie fighters (pilot skill 4)
2 Tie Interceptors (pilot skill 3)
1 Tie Advanced (pilot Skill 4) with concussion missles
(sorry can't remember the name of each of his Tie's, I know it wasn't any of the named pilots)

Total 95 points

Basically he said he wanted to see how a unnamed squad would play out.

So, we got to playing.

First round we moved into position, but not close enough to take any shots.

Second round, his 2 fighters, an interceptor and the advanced ended up almost completely surrounding Tycho. All 4 fired, and between the 4 rolled 8 hits and 1 crit. Tycho, thankfully rolled 11 evades (with the help of his focus token on one of the roles), and somehow ended up with not even a scratch on him.

Wedge must have been doing some drinking right before the game started, because he ended up bouncing between asteriods for a bit (hitting something like 6 during the entire game) and for two rounds ended up doing the opposite banks than what I wanted him to do.

Tycho though was on fire, killing both fighters, the advance and one of the interceptors.

I lost Biggs but he did his job well at the beginning, sticking with the drunken Wedge and drawing all the fire away from him.

And Wedge must have sobered up by the end to take out the one interceptor Tycho didn't kill, all though Tycho had a good shot at that interceptor a couple rounds before and by the time Wedge took the kill shot he only needed one hit to take it out.

So, basically Tycho, killed 4 of the 5 ships of my opponent and the 5th ship severally wounded.

By far Tycho has become my favorite pilot. By the end he had 8 stress tokens by the way, and only one hull point left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean R2-F2 (on Biggs):

I've been pummeled by Tycho in the past, so I know he can be tough. I'm curious why your opponent went with only 95 points, though. I know he wanted to use all unnamed pilots, but in that case, drop the TIE Advanced (horrible ship aside from Vader) and use more TIEs to both use the 100 point limit and get some board presence (an Imperial squad of all unnamed ships should be a minimum of 6 ships, even when including Interceptors). Also, there's no point to using PS3-4 generics when your opponent is using all high-PS named pilots. He'd might as well be using Academy Pilots and Alpha Squadron Pilots (PS1), which means he really had ~ 90 points worth of ships compared to your 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim williamson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
I think you mean R2-F2 (on Biggs):

I've been pummeled by Tycho in the past, so I know he can be tough. I'm curious why your opponent went with only 95 points, though. I know he wanted to use all unnamed pilots, but in that case, drop the TIE Advanced (horrible ship aside from Vader) and use more TIEs to both use the 100 point limit and get some board presence (an Imperial squad of all unnamed ships should be a minimum of 6 ships, even when including Interceptors). Also, there's no point to using PS3-4 generics when your opponent is using all high-PS named pilots. He'd might as well be using Academy Pilots and Alpha Squadron Pilots (PS1), which means he really had ~ 90 points worth of ships compared to your 100.

Not sure why he choose that squad. I brought it up to him, specifically that he would always be moving first and I would always get to fire first. Especially with Tycho having Push the Limit, I got to see exactly where all his ships were before I decided to use the boost or not. It really helped make Tycho the killer he was this game. I was able to get Tycho in to range one and then was able to focus and target lock, it really made a huge difference. He figured out exactly at what sort of disadvantage he was at but it was way to late in the game for it to matter. Heck before the game I tried to get him to take Soontir Fel and Push the Limit at the very least, but he wanted that grouping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.