Hide
5 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving monsters closer + Mystic Elevator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liana Twonky
msg tools
Traitor and monsters are stuck in the basement, where the mystic elevator is. We don't have stairs to the ground floor yet and the ground floor has the coal chute. Due to cards I used, the traitor can move a monster 1 space closer to my explorer.

Usually I'd say that the traitor would move the monster closer to the basement landing because it's closest to me, via the coal chute. However, we decided that if we were trying to optimize expediency, the mystic elevator was closer, as it was attached to the room of said monster. So, the monster would move into the elevator to get closer to me. Does that seem reasonable instead of moving towards the coal chute? Our main question was whether the mystic elevator would move or not, and where to. Looked online but couldn't find anything that answered the question. Eventually we moved the monster into the elevator but didn't move the elevator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the monsters & traitor are allies of the House. The Mystic Elevator moves where the Traitor wants when in use by the Traitor or minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
But also remember that once a monster enters the mystic elevator, it moves, before any other montsre can manage to enter the mystic elevator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh G
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
l-hansen wrote:
But also remember that once a monster enters the mystic elevator, it moves, before any other montsre can manage to enter the mystic elevator.

Is that true for monsters that follow a pre-determined set of orders? We were playing haunt #11 last night and the same situation occurred: the madman was trapped in the basement with no way out except for the mystic elevator. I only later read that we shouldn't have been able to place the mystic elevator in such a way that it sealed off the floor, but since we did,could the madman have used it to escape in that scenario? His pre-determined set of orders seemed to indicate that he must move towards outside-facing windows or explore rooms until there are none left. We determined that since he was trapped in the basement and wasn't REALLY under the control of the traitor (he was a madman after all), he was like a robot with orders that didn't make sense so he was just trapped until the traitor came down to release him (perhaps wandering around babbling to himself and tearing open cupboards hoping one would turn out to be a window). The traitor still won, but I'm guessing we played that incorrectly and should have allowed the madman to use the elevator.

Also, are you sure that monsters MUST use the power of the mystic elevator upon entering? I got the impression they could (like explorers) enter, wait and allow another unit to use the power of the elevator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Knott
Canada
flag msg tools
There is also a rule that if the Monsters become trapped in the basement you search for the basement stairs and put them into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.