Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider...

Captain Jonus (22)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (26)
TIE Bomber (18), Cluster Missiles (4), Concussion Missiles (4)

Storm Squadron Pilot (27)
TIE Advanced (23), Cluster Missiles (4)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (25)
TIE Advanced (21), Cluster Missiles (4)

...two TIE Bombers with two TIE Advanced, that's four sets of missiles! (Note I doubled up on the Gamma, rather than split between Gamma and Jonus, as it makes a tougher choice for the enemy - killing Jonus weakens the whole squad a bit, but he has no missiles himself...while concentrating fire on the missile-toting bomber removes the most firepower, but doesn't impact the boost for the two TIE Advanced shots. In any case, Jonus's bonus doesn't re-roll his own shots, so missiles on him are a bit of a waste...)

I'm biasing the list in favor of the cluster missiles, as while the range is shorter, they get to attack twice with '3' dice...which pairs VERY nicely with Jonus's ability to re-roll 2 dice in any attack. It means these six potential attacks are potentially re-rolling 2/3 of their dice, each time.

I'm liking the mix of two Advanced, rather than two more bombers, as the Advanced should have higher survivability (better agility, they can 'evade', and they can also take a couple hits before any risk of a crit - while the bombers are possibly taking crits immediately). I could see an argument for dropping the 'Storm' squadron pilot down to a 'Tempest' pilot, and then giving Jonus or the Gamma a seismic charge...but I rather like the modestly higher pilot skill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, I like Jonus quite a bit, although I think Jendon gives him a run for his money in a lot of ways.

The trick for TIE Advanced is going to be whether the boost from Jonus is enough to allow them to take down highly evasive targets or targets with very high hp. One of the major weaknesses of the "classic" 4x Advanced + Concussion list was that even if you could get the missiles to hit (which you often couldn't, and that's where Jendon comes in) you're still left trying to mop up whatever's left with a limited number of weak primary attacks.

But it's something I intend to try, anyway. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Id try to find a way to add squad leader or some other upgrade/ combo that can hand out focus tokens. You need TL/ focus for missile heavy builds, even with jonus... His ability is just icing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Id try to find a way to add squad leader or some other upgrade/ combo that can hand out focus tokens. You need TL/ focus for missile heavy builds, even with jonus... His ability is just icing.

Well, it'd be nice, sure, but this is already a 100-pt squad. Bombers and Advanced TIEs are spendy little guys with missiles.

Even as it is, you are only really equipping four missiles. I don't think I'd like to replace any of those with a none-missile-carrier, as - given the expense of bringing Jonus along, you really want to get your value from him. And that means lots of friendlies shooting missiles!

(Unfortunately, you can't even fit two Bounty Hunter + HLCs with Jonus, or that would be another obvious combo.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not downgrade the Storm to Tempest? That frees up the 2 points needed to stick Squad Leader on Jonus. Otherwise, you aren't optimizing your missiles. And since the Squad Leader action happens on Jonus's turn, the low PS of the Advanced ships isn't as important as they can take Target Lock late in the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Why not downgrade the Storm to Tempest? That frees up the 2 points needed to stick Squad Leader on Jonus. Otherwise, you aren't optimizing your missiles. And since the Squad Leader action happens on Jonus's turn, the low PS of the Advanced ships isn't as important as they can take Target Lock late in the round.

Except Jonus can't run "squad leader" - no 'elite pilot talent' slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

You might be confusing Colonel Jendon, the Lambda pilot who hands out Target Locks, and Captain Jonus, the TIE Bomber pilot who allows rerolls with secondary weapons. Jonus does have an elite talent slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
XanderF wrote:

You might be confusing Colonel Jendon, the Lambda pilot who hands out Target Locks, and Captain Jonus, the TIE Bomber pilot who allows rerolls with secondary weapons. Jonus does have an elite talent slot.

Huh, I see that it does, when looking at the card preview.

FWIW, the 'Captain Jonus' TIE Bomber pilot on voidstate's X-Wing Squad Builder does not have an 'elite pilot talent', so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.