Subject: Sure you can play it with a regular deck, but.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
I know I can play this game with regular decks of playing cards, but I would never hesitate to buy the game as I love the well pasted-up theme and the art applied to it. The oversized cards is another extra that gives this game some kind of flavor and mistery. I wonder how many bg's out there have the same or similar opinion like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Giro
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
My copy of Lost Cities was on loaner and I wanted to show a friend how to play so I bought two decks of Bicycle cards and marked one of the heart suits with an X thus giving me 5 suits to play with. Although my friend liked the mechanics he commented that it felt dry. Later when we played with the actual game cards he said he thought it was fantastic. So the art and theme definitely made the difference here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
By the way guys, I bought my copy cheap from Funagain in Swedish. The cards and the board are language independent, so I got the English rules translation from the BGG Website, plus other playing aids and scoresheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Petrie
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
giroml wrote:
My copy of Lost Cities was on loaner and I wanted to show a friend how to play so I bought two decks of Bicycle cards and marked one of the heart suits with an X thus giving me 5 suits to play with. Although my friend liked the mechanics he commented that it felt dry. Later when we played with the actual game cards he said he thought it was fantastic. So the art and theme definitely made the difference here.

Just wanted to mention that I thought your "experiment" was really interesting. The results made a lot of sense to me too. The game as a whole is worth every penny because it just adds that extra something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend's brother Adam owns this game, but I wanted my own so I made one using another card game I have - Magic the Gathering Magic has 5 varieties of land cards, Mountain, Forest, Swamp, Plains and Island, I just picked a selection of those cards, numbered them in order of how pretty I thought the cards were, and bingo - instant Lost Cities

The cards are still pretty enough to warrant playing with over buying what would amount to being a 2nd copy of the game (Adam and I share games frequently)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.