Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Linnemann
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after months of having this game and all of my friends telling me that we would never play it, we finally broke it out this past weekend.

You start out being either a policeman (5,9) $100, doctor (4,10) $200, a deep sea diver (3,11) $300, or a prospector (2,12) $400. The numbers in paratheses are which numbers you get paid on. The amount is how much. The game starts you at $0, and you start on one of the 'start' spots. The first person to go is the policeman, and then it continues leftwardly. You roll the dice and if one of your numbers comes up you get paid. Hence the larger amount of money with worse numbers. Once you have $1000 onhand you stop working, naturally.

You can only buy stock once you are on a spot with that company. The companies are more like groupings in a fund. When the stock market is up, 4 stocks are at their high point, when down, the four others. It is pretty balanced because of the squares on the corners of the board that push the market 20 up or down. This can be huge, like say I owned 10 woolworth stock that I bought at 34, then it goes up 20, and at the beginning of your next turn your have a chance to sell any stock. It could then be at 156 and you could make some serious money.

It is good to hold onto stock because of the stock board meetings. This is where the exponential money comes in. If you don't own any of that stock you could buy just 1 share, but you can bring in however many. You then get a payout of stock for you stock, so you land on the 2 for 1, and if you had 1 stock, now you have 3. This can be huge if you have 100 stocks and then it goes to 400. That is a huge gain. There is a possibility that you roll a 12 right off the bat and are forced to sell your stock at the lowest price.

At the beginning of your turn you have the chance to sell any stock back for its current value. You then could roll and still sell stock, but you have to sell for its lowest value because it is out of order. So a serious problem is if you land on a corner square, which will cost you $10 per share. Let's say you don't have any money, then you need to sell some of your stock for the lowest price. That is a good reason to have money on hand to cover your stock.

My friend Ben was just crazy over this game once we played it. Everyone hates the art. It is all bold crazy colors and it there are just too many colors for it to be cohesive. The game takes about 2 hours until someone gets to $50,000. We played to 50,000, but realized 100,000 comes very quickly(which is the offial end of game).

My advice to to keep track of what you purchased your stock for and don't look for huge gains, just gains. I think this game is very fun and I am so glad that I was able to get it at an estate sale. The 1963 version even! Printed in Racine Wisconsin, wow, when did the US actually make stuff!

-Find this game, steal this game, pay money for this game, but definitely keep your eyes peeled for it.

-mevdev
Robert Linnemann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
mevdev wrote:
The game takes about 2 hours until someone gets to $50,000. We played to 50,000, but realized 100,000 comes very quickly(which is the offial end of game).

Two hours? When Daughter the Elder and I play this (to $100,000) it comes in at much closer to an hour for us. In fact with friendly board meetings and avoiding a sell all at minimum price you can polish it off it about half an hour with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
When my kids were younger (double digit pre-teen), they loved this game and would play it as a marathon (it never seemed to end but we had fun playing with a time limit like until dinner). A good fit and engaging for families with pre-teen players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Zobel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mevdev wrote:
. There is a possibility that you roll a 12 right off the bat and are forced to sell your stock at the lowest price.

I didn't think you were ever forced to go through the board meeting. I thought you had the choice of going through or just going around the board. Which means if you roll a 12, you just choose to go the other way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Olsen
msg tools
Yeah, that's the good thing about sitting on the door to the stockholder's meeting. You can go thru the meeting or you can go the other direction around the board. If your roll takes you around the corner beyond the next shareholder's meeting door you can again go through the meeting or around the board, so you have 3 options. It makes navigating the board much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.