Subject: First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game just arrived so all I've got is first impressions.

Background: I loved the old game even with it's dinky counters and map so I was way psyched to see FFG was coming out with a new edition.

Components: Decent. The board looks very cool, a big step up. The player pieces are plastic but a bit small, not thrilled. The cardboard counters are much more substantial then the old, but I would have loved more plastic, at least for the ships. But I guess that was a price issue.

The theme and artwork: Is fine. I like steampunk so I'm cool with that theme, but I'm not blown away by this rendition. I find the whole "build bridges for the sky people" dynamic kinda silly. I'd rather leave it out or have my people get ready to conquer those damn sky people! But despite my quibbles, it's certainly a step up from the old artwork.

What's missing: Monks and Universities!!! Those were part of the expansions in the old version and they were awesome. You built temples to spread your insidious religion; and then your opponents countered by building universities and spreading knowledge as an antidote. I almost assumed that FFG would include them, and was so disappointed to see them left out. They included the islands expansion, why not temples and universities? (Blimps, much as I loved them, were a bit overpowered, so I guess leaving them out is ok.)

I'm hoping, but not optimistic, that there will be expansions to rectify this omission. My feeling is the new Gearworld will not be popular enough to justify expansions.

Conclusion: I'm still happy with my purchase and ready to try the game out, but I'd hoped for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's FFG. There will be expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, our group has enjoyed Gearworld, although like you, we found a couple of the thematic elements kind of silly ...such as raising horses in their dying world, I figured it would be some kind of steampunk contraption, and building for the sky people as well, thought that maybe it would have been better to have them building more of a power works to turn their power back on and get those gears turning.

Nonetheless, we look past such things and really enjoy the game ... there is alot to keep track of especially during the trading phases because you have to know why people want the items they are asking for, and know where your people are to take those areas if necessary ... so the trade and battle phases can turn out to be quite cutthroat and fun.

I'm okay without the added building options, at least for now. The way the game plays out, it seems that you already need to balance what you're building, what I mean is it takes 3 Skyworks to win the game ... but you also need some weapons for offense/defense, horses/boats/ships for transport, and so forth ... as surprisingly fast as the game seems to be, there will ultimately only be so much you can build anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:

Are you certain about that? Wiz-War... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:
Wheelockian wrote:

Are you certain about that? Wiz-War... :cry:

True. And Dungeonquest. Maybe some games are better left as a standalone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
Mikademus wrote:
Wheelockian wrote:

Are you certain about that? Wiz-War... :cry:

True. And Dungeonquest. Maybe some games are better left as a standalone.

Hmm, well, both DungeonQuest and Wiz-War screams for expansions, especiall Wiz-War. I haven't played Borderlands and am still waiting to get Gearworld on the table for the first time, so I can't say anything about it. But FFG, bring me a Wiz-War expansion NOW, dang it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.