Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought and played the game for the first time last night. Outstanding.
A quick question re the Ambush card, say:

1. My opponent declares a Close Assault on me.
2. I play the Ambush card.
3. We resolve conflict/moves per the card and dice etc.
4. I draw the first Command card per the rules, then he draws his.

Then what? Is it my turn to order? Or his?
So basically, does the Ambush card interject in a turn, or does it use up my whole turn during his turn?

Thanks kindly in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, (and I haven't played in a while), the Ambush Card gives the attacked unit a free attack prior to your opponent's roll. If you manage to push his unit back, he does not get an attack. Your opponent would then continue his turn if he had further attacks to resolve. If he did not have anymore attacks, your turn would begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
can somebody confirm this? The way we have been playing is when an ambush card is announced, the person playing the card gets to attack then if units are left the attacker gets to attack normally. Once his turn ends, both players draw new cards and a new turn begins.

I don't see how this differs from what I wrote above.

Quote:
Another question is whether the ambush card is only valid for the first close assualt battle in a turn or all close assault battles, I would assume only the first.

I would think it would only be applicable to the first Close Assault battle. Then the attacker would finish any remaining attacks, if there were any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAK Dreadnaut is correct. You play the ambush on only a close combat attack. The object is to either destroy the attacking unit or push it back. If you fail to do either then the attack continues as normal.

and to answer your question tornadog you are playing it correctly. the defender gets to attack the attacker then it continues normally.

IIRC the attacker only gets to continue the attack with a unit if it is still with in CC range. As for the number of units it effects I cannot recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above interpretation makes sense (it may be considered an 'interrupt').

A curious thing however - the card says that the ambusher gets to draw a replacement command card first. I'm having trouble understanding why this is important. The deck is random so order is irrelevant. The only situation where it might make a difference is when there is one command card left but I cannot remember what the rules say about exhausting the command deck however. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tornadog,

I think you misunderstood my initial post. Memoir 44, just like many war games, follows a You Go, I Go function. In that, whenever your turn is done, I take mine, and so on. That is why I said, after your opponent completes their turn (the one on which you played the Ambush Card), your turn begins. Therefore, the playing of the Ambush Card does not count as one's turn. And, because it is played on your opponent's turn, you would have your turn as normal after its play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Quote:
the card says that the ambusher gets to draw a replacement command card first. I'm having trouble understanding why this is important.

When playing in a non-competitive setting, that rule doesn't really matter. It's just there so that there aren’t arguments during tournament play that "he took the card that would have won me the game," It's not key to making the game work, it's just a structure thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.