Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: Do people still play BSW? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Katz
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was looking to get into BSW but no one ever joins any games [been trying to get a 7 Wonders game going] I get into and I never see anyone chatting. I looked into the English town website and their last update is > 1 year ago so perhaps BSW is in decline? So, anyone still playing? and if so, where do you find people who are playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgk111 wrote:
I was looking to get into BSW but no one ever joins any games [been trying to get a 7 Wonders game going] I get into and I never see anyone chatting. I looked into the English town website and their last update is > 1 year ago so perhaps BSW is in decline? So, anyone still playing? and if so, where do you find people who are playing?

I quit playing a while ago. My favorite part of BSW was the community around the games and the metagame (town rooms and resources) got so complicated it just wasn't any fun. If it is in decline, I wonder if the rise of mobile gaming has been the driving force behind that decline? I know that most of my electronic board gaming these days is done on my phone or my tablet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play, but I just don't always have the time to sit down and play a live game. I tend to play on Yucata since I can play as many or as few moves as I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I play a few games on BSW: Vikings, Stone Age, and Pandemic especially. The community aspect always drives me nuts -- I always set up a game with friends beforehand, so I don't want random people joining my game (or results going to some village...).

That said, their client is not aging well, and many of the games have terrible interfaces. There are better options for almost every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the client a couple of months ago, tinkered around a bit with it, and concluded that the clunky interface was not worth my time to figure out. Boardgamearena.com is MUCH more user-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
I downloaded the client a couple of months ago, tinkered around a bit with it, and concluded that the clunky interface was not worth my time to figure out. Boardgamearena.com is MUCH more user-friendly.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play on BSW a lot but found either games took to long to get players or there were better places to play games -yucata and dominion isotropic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's as many people playing, but it really depends on what time of day you get on. I usually shoot for 6-8pm (EST) and can usually find someone to play Kingdom Builder or Carcassonne several times a week. But if I log in after 10pm or so? Pretty much no-one around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Katz
United States
California
flag msg tools
Well that is good to know. I have found some other places to play but BSW seemed great, plus it had 7 Wonders which I wanted to play and Power Grid. There are plenty of other great games however so I suppose it will be ok! I am looking into Vassal now, might be fun to make some games, seems like a good and, most importantly, ACTIVE community! Ill check in with BSW from time to time though, couldn't hurt! Thanks for the reply guys.

-bk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSW was THE place to go for a while, but I haven't been there in over a year. But even then the interface was a bit clunky. It was the only place I found that had Imperial and Imperial 2030. Is there any other site that is carrying these games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also much prefer BoardGameArena.com The only games I have ever played on BSW are Puerto Rico and Caylus, both of which are available on BGA. And as others have mentioned, the UI is much nicer on BGA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgk111 wrote:

The English Town website isn't kept up to date, and the English Town forum is hardly used either, but there are still plenty of players online. There are far more German players than English, but most understand a little English at least, and there isn't too much chatting needed for a 7 Wonders game. This also means that there are more people online in the US morning, where it is evening in Germany. The most popular game on the site is Tichu, for many games you can gather enough opponents in just a couple minutes, but there are others that it can take awhile. The English Town channel used to be a place where people would chat and you could find players, but it seems to have died off. Mostly I set up a game, and then do a /gameyell for more players and wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure there are many people playing at BSW, even nowadays. Games like Tichu, 7 Wonders, Carcassonne and Stone Age are games where you'll 100% of the times find partners to play with. Now, if you try around 06:00 UTC, for example, you won't find many, as people in Europe are doing other stuff at that time.

13:00 - 20:00 UTC, for example, are good time slots to find many players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anywhere else that hosts Power Grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at the player count: 845

Back when I was playing at least 3-4 times a week, there were twice that many.

I haven't been on in over a year, maybe two. Not sure why, but probably has a lot to do with discovering boardgamingonline.com and OCTGN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Broadview Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has more to do with boardgamearena.com then anything else... They continue to rapidly gain players with a MUCH better interface, lobby system and no need to download a client. I know I have much better luck getting folks to play online with BGA then I ever did with BSW. It just feels right and they are really stepping up their game lately with new additions...

If you have never checked them out I highly recommend you do... I now split my time between them and yucata.de

Enjoy!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LtSterling wrote:
I think it has more to do with boardgamearena.com then anything else...

Yeah, I meant bgo and OCTGN for me personally. Thanks for the boardgamearena recommendation. I'll have to check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Maston
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have ramped up my BSW activity in the past 2-3 months, playing about 3-4 nights a week.It's great!

Currently stuck in a Kingdom Builder-Carcassonne-TransAmerica Axis of Awesome, though I'll be branching out to other games in time to come.

I hope BSW keeps up, but to date there's been plenty of players in the field, so no worries here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out on bga and while it's great, there are some games on bsw that I'd really like to be able to play online. So yesterday I signed up and downloaded the client. The interface is just horrible and when it asked me what language I'd like to use I told it English, but nothing was in English, which makes it kind of pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And apparently this thread is 8 months old....oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
Is there anywhere else that hosts Power Grid?
That's the one thing I miss about Yucata and Board Game Arena (BGA). I do all my live gaming activity on BGA, and the turn-based stuff on Yucata.

I was turned off at the unwieldy UI on BSW. I may return someday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgaine G
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined a month or so ago!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgk111 wrote:
... no one ever joins any games [been trying to get a 7 Wonders game going] I get into and I never see anyone chatting.... last update is > 1 year ago so perhaps BSW is in decline? ...

Yeah, I had the same experience. It must have been what,7,8 years ago since my last login. Felt like a ghost town really...

Hardly no new games where added. What happened to the initiative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
That said, their client is not aging well, and many of the games have terrible interfaces. There are better options for almost every game.

Which options are those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Ney
msg tools
mbmbmb
Seth_Logan wrote:
dcclark wrote:

Which options are those?

Indeed, where can I find Power Grid, 7 Wonders, St. Petersburg, etc online (not turn based)? Not to mention a lot of the less played games on BSW that are nonetheless fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |