Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: dismantling dials with manicure set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Smith
United States
rancho cordova
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
having spent along time prying/twisting/pulling/bloody nails to take the dials apart the best thing I found that works in a few seconds is fingernail clipper and nail cleaner. Just jimmy the side with the thinner cleaner move it around then get the fatter nail clipper and twist/jimmy.

 
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why on Earth would you need to take them apart? I've played quite a bit and no one I know has ever needed to take them apart...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to separate mine when I added some clear film in the middle to prevent dial wear.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
rancho cordova
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
was hard for my young nephew to spin em. Gonna do the contact paper trick. I was just posting the best way I found incase anyone needed em apart.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
Why on Earth would you need to take them apart? I've played quite a bit and no one I know has ever needed to take them apart...


Many of our players' dials are all wearing out. The print is rubbing off- so we are taking dials apart and putting clear contact paper over the maneuvers to preserve the moves. Humorously, they will be all frayed and white with a hand written "ship name" and near perfect moves part soon.

I use a tiny screwdriver from my computer tools. It does the same- only it leaves a small crease on the back when I pry the plug off.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
I use a knife.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nimdabew wrote:
I use a knife.


precision x-acto works as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
Mu0n wrote:
nimdabew wrote:
I use a knife.


precision x-acto works as well.

My point is that any kind of thin, strong, prying instrument will get under the lip of that black holder thingie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having remembered this thread, I found some old white nylon washers that fit perfectly, and found that I could get the dials apart with careful work and my fingernails with no damage. Not that my dials have had that much usage yet, just that I hope to get cranking and having them set with that little bit of spacer should keep them in good shape for some years.

Tom Oxley
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
Why on Earth would you need to take them apart? I've played quite a bit and no one I know has ever needed to take them apart...


Many of our players' dials are all wearing out. The print is rubbing off- so we are taking dials apart and putting clear contact paper over the maneuvers to preserve the moves. Humorously, they will be all frayed and white with a hand written "ship name" and near perfect moves part soon.

I use a tiny screwdriver from my computer tools. It does the same- only it leaves a small crease on the back when I pry the plug off.


I'm going to try spraying the outside of my dials with Krylon Matte Finish. I think it might help preserve the outside as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chang1701 wrote:
virferrorum wrote:
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:
Why on Earth would you need to take them apart? I've played quite a bit and no one I know has ever needed to take them apart...


Many of our players' dials are all wearing out. The print is rubbing off- so we are taking dials apart and putting clear contact paper over the maneuvers to preserve the moves. Humorously, they will be all frayed and white with a hand written "ship name" and near perfect moves part soon.

I use a tiny screwdriver from my computer tools. It does the same- only it leaves a small crease on the back when I pry the plug off.


I'm going to try spraying the outside of my dials with Krylon Matte Finish. I think it might help preserve the outside as well.



I've used both spray and paint-on sealers for some of my more recently acquired dials. In both cases, I used excess target locks as test pieces, and recommend anyone else do the same (especially if not familiar with spray finishes).

Only time will tell if they actually hold up better, but I've got some early wheels that I didn't protect the outer faces of and they're rapidly approaching rubbed-clean white.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That might also protect the unfinished edges. I was thinking of taking a drop of white glue and rubbing into the open cardboard edges that when it dries, they are protected. My fingers slipped once while I was taking them apart to put the plastic washers in and the cardboard separated at the edge. Just a small bit should dry quickly and keep the things from coming apart with use, while the clear coating should protect the faces well. I'd also like to see how it affects the plastic hub so I can spray them without taking them apart again, but I have some spare hub pieces to try that on.

Tom Oxley
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://corseceng.com/programming-the-starfighter-di
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.