Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Khoo
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I just played my first two games of Power Grid over the weekend and loved it. Hopefully all of you seasoned verterans can help me out with my questions.

In Step 1 (essentially the first round) playing order is done at random. When it comes time to build cities I became confused at the rules about 'playing areas'. As you know, the board has different coloured regions.

1) Are these coloured regions equal to playing areas?
2) Is there any correlation between the colour of the region and a player's colour?
3) On Step 1 when you build cities for the first time (assuming you want to) do you have to build in your region matching your colour? OR can anyone build anywhere in any coloured region (assuming the number of people you play with can support this many regions.)

We played with 6 people on the USA map. We were all first timers and since the rules were unclear we decided that the colour of token you had made it such that you had to start in that coloured region. After that, expansion to any other coloured region is ok. It was interesting. I was purple and my buddy was blue. Since those regions were on the West coast where connection costs were high, our expansions came very slow and we were always in the 5th & 6th positions for 90% of the game. There was intense competition on the East side where connection costs were lower. What ended up happening was that us West Coasters were essentially forgotten since the Easterners were so worried about each other that we had a chance to slowly expand and save $$$.

Did we play this wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Did we play this wrong?

Yep.

No, you don't have to start in the area that is the same as your color, tho it may be an interesting variant. I wouldn't think it would be fair for all players, tho, since different areas have better connection fees than others.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
To cut to the chase - yes, you played it wrong.

The colours on the board have nothing to do with player colours at all. They are just used to delineate regions in (or out) of play depending on the number of players. As a result, your first cities can have been anywhere on the board.

So to answer your questions -

(1) The coloured regions are the playing areas. This is defined under preparation which indicates the map is separatedinto 6 areas each containing 7 cities.

(2) No. Again, under preparation, it states - every player can play in all the selected areas.

(3) Build in any city in play as selected under preparation.

So, I hope you can play again soon and this time join in the competition by starting with the others in the Eastern region....PS - Don't forget that even w/ 6 players you do remove 1 region from the game and play on only 5 regions total. This is listed in the back of the rules under exceptions for each number of players.

As you didn't have a conflict between the player colours and the 6 regions - I suspect that you played with all 6 regions. Otherwise, you would have had 1 player "unable to start" by the method you had selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Khoo
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to both of you who responded.

That's a big help. Although we played it incorrectly at the start, we still had a blast with the 'variant' we played with. It seemed to balance out at the end even though we were stuck on the West Coast.

Happy Gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify:
- Before you start, each player is supposed to designate one of the areas on the board to "include" (except in a 6 player game). This doesn't indicate that the player is limited to this choice, just that that particular colored region will be in play. We've found its just as easy to agree on which region(s) to leave out.
- The turn order is random to start the game, but immediately after everyone has bought their first power plant, you re-order (ie - before you start to buy fuel).
- When building into cities, you can build anywhere initially, and after that, you can build anywhere you can afford to pay the connection costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.